7 Things Instagram Should Have Done Instead Of ‘Stories’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

Back in August, Instagram reveiled their newest feature: Instagram Stories. This wasn’t anything new to the world of social media, since it is the basis of the popular app Snapchat. What was the point of adding a feature that was already made popular in a completely different app? There were many different things that would’ve benefitted those of us who enjoy posting selfies/food/cute dogs. Things like…

1. A “following you” button on profiles

Why not copy another idea from a different social media site while we’re at it? Twitter shows users who follows them by seeing on someone’s profile “FOLLOWS YOU”. Wouldn’t you love to know who is still seeing your pictures on their feed and decidedly ignoring it? Or someone you once thought was a mutual follower has broken that bond?

2. Specific feeds for your crush/significant other

If only we could go onto Instagram and specifically see the cute pictures your favorite person posts. Although we wouldn’t want them to know, so it’ll have to be kept on the down low. But now you can see the person you want to see the most, all on your feed.

3. Buying directly from pictures.

For as often as cute clothes are posted on Instagram, we should be able to buy said cute clothes! Of course our closests would be overflowing, but it would be so worth buying that dress Ariana Grande is wearing. 

4. Get food directly from pictures

Much like buying clothes directly from Instagram, could you imagine being able to download food directly off of a food-stagram account?! All of the ice cream and cupcakes or sushi you could eat! 

5. Alerts when you’re in an Instagram-worthy moment

What if you were at Disney World and an alarm started going off– it was the perfect moment for a picture! The app could use location services to see where you are and let you know when you’re nearby places that others have loved taking pictures at, too. 

6. Slideshow of your pictures

Sometimes advertisements will show up on feeds as picture slideshows, so why can’t our pictures show up like that? Then picture spams won’t happen as often, they’ll all be in one contained post that we could flip through! It’s practically like an album, except a lot cooler.

7. Zoom

This was going to be the top priority feature except Instagram just announced this feature a few days ago! Finally, they’re doing something right! Maybe one day all of these other features will be realities soon enough. 

Class of 2019. Communication Major. Film Studies/Digital Media Art Minor. Maryland girl exploring NYC and writing all about it! Follow me on Instagram: @taylorbrethauer and Twitter: @itstaybytheway Stalk my photography blog here: throughtaylorsviewfinder.tumblr.com