Career > Money

5 Ways to Make Extra Cash as a Busy College Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

Written by Jocelyn Visnov

Life as a college student isn’t cheap. If you’re feeling drained from a busy academic and social schedule, there’s a good chance your bank account is getting drained too. 

College life is full of surprise expenses, everything from required textbooks to a girls night out comes with a cost. But who has time to work endless hours at a full-time job when you have 8AM classes and spend every afternoon in the library? There’s only so many hours in the day. 

Fear not, as I’ve got a couple solutions to put your mind and your bank account at ease without a crazy time commitment.  

Here are 5 ways to make extra cash in college without sacrificing your sanity, or your social life. 

1. Find Part-Time Jobs on Campus

This is an obvious one, but working on campus is one way to make some coin without the commute. Look for job postings around campus or see if different departments need an extra hand. There also might be clubs and campus organizations that will pay for help with organization and event planning. 

1. Social Media Influencer Programs

Are you a social media guru? Get paid for blogging and posting! For most partnership programs, you’ll get a stipend along with free samples of the companies products to use in your posts! If you’re interested in fields like communications and marketing, this may even be a decent resume booster. Not to mention Her Campus offers a plethora of opportunities through InfluenceHer programs where you might be able to score free stuff!

1. Sell Your Unwanted Clothes

Is there a bag of clothes sitting in your apartment that just aren’t your style anymore? Search for consignment shops near you and see if they will give you cash for your unwanted items. Try sites like ThredUp or Depop for the convenience of selling your clothes just by taking pictures of your items and posting them to the sites.   

1. Sell your designs

Calling all Art/Graphic Design/Fine Arts majors! Sites like Society6 and RedBubble allow you to upload your art so it can be sold in different mediums, and you get a cut of the revenue from every item sold! From small stuff like stickers and socks, to throw pillows and posters, these sites put your art on their products by themselves, all you need to do is upload the designs. Get paid for selling your awesome art! 

1. Local Babysitting 

The 13yr olds in your town have got nothing on you. Babysitting is a great way to make a quick buck without a big commitment. Whether its a Date Night or walking the kids home from school, babysitting hours can be flexible depending on the needs of the family. If they’re in a pinch for a sitter, parents might pay solid wages for you to watch their kids. And you get the cash right then and there. Search for “Babysitters of (Insert your college town or surrounding areas here)” on Facebook, or join sites like CollegeSitters or Care.com, and you’ll find babysitting gigs ASAP! 

With a little extra cash in your pocket, you’ll have one less thing to worry about. Avoid the common dilemma of being completely broke in college, and get that grain, girl! 

Jocelyn Visnov

Manhattan '24

Jocelyn is a communication major studying journalism and advertising at Manhattan College. She's the Editor-in-Chief for The Quadrangle Newspaper and previously served as a Creative Director and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Manhattan. Jocelyn aspires to pursue a career in advertising with a special interest in creative direction and campaigns. She is a passionate writer who is always on the go, but never without an iced coffee in hand!