Celina Timmerman-Girl In Winter Hat
Celina Timmerman-Girl In Winter Hat
Celina Timmerman / Her Campus
Style > Fashion

5 Ways to Be Stylish and Warm This Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

By Adrianne Hutto

Maybe it’s just me, but it seems that this year’s winter was worse than those in previous years. Being born and raised in a southern state, where it’s currently 60 degrees, the adjustment from this kind of winter to a New York winter has been rough. January is one of those months where 30 degrees and five mile an hour winds are a blessing. Despite this frigid cold, New Yorkers are refusing to give up their sense of fashion. Here is a deeper look at how to stay warm, without compromising your outfit this winter. 

Layers are your best friend

As much as I hate layering because it makes you feel stiff and heavy, this is the best way to stay warm. A turtleneck under a sweater, under a thick coat will keep you much warmer than just a hoodie and puffer. Thick wool tights fit perfectly under leggings, jeans or sweatpants. While it may feel silly, knee-high socks can make all the difference.  

Ushanka Hats

You may have seen this style of hat famously worn by Tyler, the Creator. However, this thick fur hat is making a comeback in winter street fashion and often styled as a bucket hat or a fur brimmed cap. Either way, covering your head is the best way to stay warm in the cold. My mother constantly reminds me that if your head is warm, your body will be too. 

Ear muffs

This is one trend that I keep seeing all over social media, but seems to have yet to fully catch on. However, ear muffs are the best way to keep your ears warm and your hair down. While hats are the most effective way to keep your body warm, ear muffs won’t give you the dreaded “hat hair.”

Uggs and Moon Boots

This is something I was skeptical about initially, but am not fully on board for. Ugg boots were a huge trend when I was in middle school in the early 2010s; that lost steam a few years after they became big. So much like anything that was once popular, they are now back in fashion and at just the right time. These suede shoes will keep your feet warm with their fur inner-lining all winter, though they may not be practical for wet ground. Moon boots go as far back as the 70s. These high-fashion boots, which are coming back into the fashion scene, resemble a puffer jacket and pair perfectly with a pair of leggings. If you’ve never heard of them, go ahead and check them out. 

Aviator Jackets

I vaguely remember a variation of these coats a few years ago, where instead of leather and faux-fur, it was suede. This style of jacket was also briefly popular with men in the late 2000s to 2010s, which looked more like something a pilot would wear than cold weather attire. However, these jackets are making a comeback among women and act as a great over layer for winter weather, as their thickness makes it easier to pack layers underneath or wear with just a long sleeve. Ranging from $50 to $500, I predict these will be a must wear this winter.

Adrianne Hutto

Manhattan '24

Adrianne Hutto is a Senior communication major at Manhattan College with a concentration in journalism. She loves writing about fashion, animals and food. In her free time she loves to cook, spend time with her cat, Casper, and rollerskating in Van Cortlandt Park.