5 Ways to Honor Women During Women’s History Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

This March is Women’s History month, which is a great time for us to reflect on and show appreciation for the accomplishments of the many women before us. There are a number of great ways to do this. Included is a list of fun and safe activities to participate in. Whether it is alone or with your girlfriends we should try to celebrate women every day. 

1) Watch female-directed movies 

There are a lot of amazing female directors who you may have or have not heard of yet. A famous example is Greta Gerwig who directed Little Women and Lady Bird, which both feature an amazing cast of women. Another director to check out is Kathryn Bigelow who directed Zero Dark Thirty and Detroit, which details the events of a 1967 Civil Rights riot between black protesters and police. Ava DuVernay is another example, having directed A Wrinkle in Time and Selma, the 2014 film which follows the events of the Civil Rights Movement in the 1960s.

2) Listen to songs by female artists and producers

A great way to celebrate female empowerment during the month of March is to focus on music made by women. Taylor Swift’s new album and the rerecordings of her old albums are a great place to start, especially given the drama surrounding her old producer Scooter Braun who sold the right to her first 6 albums. A few other female artists who make inspiring and empowering songs are FKA Twigs, Kehlani, and Doja Cat. Streaming these artists is a good way to get female-made and produced music to the top of the charts. 

3) Watch shows and documentaries starring female actresses

During the month of March, another way to celebrate women is to watch shows starring females for the lead roles. Some examples are RBG, a documentary which came out a few years ago and details the life of former Supreme Court Justice, Ruth Bader Ginsburg; Julie and the Phantoms, featuring a young actress of color whose soundtrack exceeds expectations; and GLOW, which stars a nearly all-female cast creating a show within a show about fake female wrestlers. 

4) Post on social media

Another way to get involved in Women’s History Month is to post on your socials. This keeps your friends, family, and followers in the loop about the achievements of women throughout history up to today. Accounts on Instagram such as @feminist make empowering and informative posts for women to check out and reshare.  

5) Support a nonprofit organization that supports women

A great way to support other women during the month of March is to donate to organizations that help women in need. A few examples include Dress for Success, National Organization for Women, and Global Fund for Women. 

Make sure to celebrate the powerful women who break barriers and inspire you this Women’s History Month!

Adrianne Hutto

Manhattan '24

Adrianne Hutto is a Senior communication major at Manhattan College with a concentration in journalism. She loves writing about fashion, animals and food. In her free time she loves to cook, spend time with her cat, Casper, and rollerskating in Van Cortlandt Park.
As an avid lover of all things writing related, Christine is a born story-teller. She is a junior at Manhattan College majoring Public Relations and minoring in Marketing. When she’s not writing, you can find her exploring NYC, binge watching The Office, or enjoying a good cup of tea. She joined Her Campus after transferring to MC and absolutely fell in love with it! She is currently the Campus Correspondent of her chapter, and hopes her articles can entertain and inspire women everywhere. After college, she plans to continue writing and hopes to publish a book one day. Be sure to check out her college lifestyle blog Christineeve.com!