5 Things You Didn’t Know About Kendall Jenner’s New Tequila

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

As you may have seen all over social media, Kendall Jenner has announced her new tequila brand, ‘818’. The boujee tequila is handcrafted in Jalisco, Mexico with three different types: añejo, reposado and blanco. Although not yet officially revealed, according to the tequila’s instagram, a bottle of 818 will run you about $60. Here are some things you didn’t know about Ms. Jenner’s new alcohol.

Kendall has been working on the tequila for about 4 years

When Kendall announced her brand on February 16th, she posted an instagram to celebrate. “for almost 4 years i’ve been on a journey to create the best tasting tequila. after dozens of blind taste tests, trips to our distillery, entering into world tasting competitions anonymously and WINNING ..3.5 years later i think we’ve done it” Jenner wrote. She seems extremely proud of the alcohol in her post, including photos and videos of friends and family toasting to 818.

818 has won awards

As mentioned in her instagram post, the tequila was entered in multiple tasting competitions anonymously. Añejo was awarded four times by SIP Awards, MicroLiquor Spirit Awards and twice by Ultimate Spirits Challenge. 818 reposado and blanco were awarded twice, with the respado winning ‘Best Reposado Tequila’ by World Tequila Awards.

This is Kendall’s first business move outside of her modeling career

The Kardashian Jenner empire is known for using their clout to help them along the way with their business endeavors, and Kendall is no different. 818 Tequila is the first venture outside of fashion for Kendall, and the first alcoholic beverage brand for the family. We know the famous family for their makeup and fashion lines, but 818 is definitely something new and exciting for the Kardas/Jenner name. She is one of many celebrities to own a spirits brand.

The name has a special meaning

818 holds a special place in Kendall’s heart. The brand name comes from the area code that covers the San Fernando Valley region of Los Angeles County, California, home to Calabasas. Jenner was raised with the Kardashian sisters in Calabasas, an upscale suburb west of Los Angeles. 

Kendall is facing backlash for the tequila

Although there are many looking forward to getting their hands on a bottle of 818 tequila, many are unhappy with the new spirit. There are a couple of reasons for people to call out the tequila. For one, social media users have claimed that this is an “erasure” of Mexican culture because it is not named after Mexico in any way. One twitter user wrote, “Kendall Jenner starting a tequila brand, with zero knowledge on Mexican culture and calling it “818 tequila” is GENTRIFICATION. The 818 does not claim Calabasas. What about those smaller, family owned Mexican tequila/mezcal brands? They deserve the hype & support.” Kendall is yet to address the accusations of cultural appropriation.

Ciara O'Leary

Manhattan '22

Senior at Manhattan College pursuing a communications degree with a love for traveling, photography, music, fashion, and writing.
As an avid lover of all things writing related, Christine is a born story-teller. She is a junior at Manhattan College majoring Public Relations and minoring in Marketing. When she’s not writing, you can find her exploring NYC, binge watching The Office, or enjoying a good cup of tea. She joined Her Campus after transferring to MC and absolutely fell in love with it! She is currently the Campus Correspondent of her chapter, and hopes her articles can entertain and inspire women everywhere. After college, she plans to continue writing and hopes to publish a book one day. Be sure to check out her college lifestyle blog Christineeve.com!