This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

As we spend yet another semester in the comfort of our beds, I’ve started to think of the items I’ve accumulated over the course of remote learning, that I never thought I’d find to be “essentials.” Here are my top five. 

Blue Light Glasses

After a blinding Spring semester, constantly staring at my computer screen, I gave in the popular fad of blue light glasses. This was the best decision I’ve made, as I’ve noticed a difference in my eyes’ comfort level and experienced less headaches. Screen lighting is known to increase eye strain and to dry out your eyes. While logging on to yet another zoom, make sure to wear your blue light glasses and drink plenty of water to avoid the headaches! I got mine on Amazon for $20 but I’ve also seen them at Marshalls and Target for less! 

Otter.ai 

Otter is the best thing that’s happened to me when it comes to online schooling. School is draining and it’s so much harder to keep your attention on class when the world is literally right at your fingertips. Otter records and transcribes your lectures so if you zone out, find yourself on Shein (guilty!), or fall asleep during your 8 a.m., you have a set of detailed notes AND an audio recording all in one place. Plus when studying, you can search any term to hear exactly what your professor/classmates said. 

Skincare Routine

Along with eyestrain, constant screen lighting causes premature aging of the skin. Now more than ever it’s important to have a healthy routine. I’ve been searching for the best skincare for the lowest price. What I’ve come to find is that you can find generic brand cleansers and toner, but don’t skimp on your moisturizer. I love my Clinique Skin ID moisturizer because I can customize it to my exact skin needs. While it is a little pricey, it’s well worth it because of the multi-benefits. Mine consists of the Moisturizing Lotion, Hydrating Clearing Jelly and the Active Cartridge Concentrate for Skin with Pores and Uneven Texture. But, there is a combination for everyone! 

PAPER Planner 

I could be Google Calendar’s spokeswoman, as I’ve even used it to send hangout invites to my friends. But, in Corona times, I’ve had enough of screens and reminders and scheduling every day to the minute (which is what ends up happening when I use online planners). Paper planners are really just a weekly to-do list. It will give you a least a few minutes a day away from your screen while you plan your assignments and as a bonus give you a chance to work on your penmanship. If you’re like me, you haven’t picked up a real pen since last March and your chicken scratch is the price being paid. 

Comfort Clothing

What are “jeans?” Never heard of them. I am a firm believer that the best way to take class is to keep a routine and get ready as if it were a normal day on campus. However that doesn’t mean that your outfit can’t be a pair of comfy sweats or an oversized tee. 

It’s easy to avoid taking care of ourselves during this time. Focusing on the little things we can do to help get through this, in the long run, is SO important. And if these few essentials will help ease your headaches, acne, or give you even a little peace of mind, then they are more than worth it.

Caroline (Cari) McCarthy is a junior communication major with a concentration in journalism at Manhattan College, and hopes to earn a second major in Peace and Justice Studies. Cari aspires to travel the world while reporting on social change-makers. She holds leadership positions in a variety of media publications including serving as the Assistant Featured Editor of the Manhattan College Quadrangle, Executive Editor of Lotus Magazine, and Creative Director of her school's Her Campus Chapter!
As an avid lover of all things writing related, Christine is a born story-teller. She is a junior at Manhattan College majoring Public Relations and minoring in Marketing. When she’s not writing, you can find her exploring NYC, binge watching The Office, or enjoying a good cup of tea. She joined Her Campus after transferring to MC and absolutely fell in love with it! She is currently the Campus Correspondent of her chapter, and hopes her articles can entertain and inspire women everywhere. After college, she plans to continue writing and hopes to publish a book one day. Be sure to check out her college lifestyle blog Christineeve.com!