5 Easy Meals To Make In The Dining Hall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

No matter where you go to school, you will eventually get bored of the food that is offered to you in the dining hall. There will always be yogurt, cereal, eggs, bacon, and toast for breakfast. There will always be vegetables, chicken, rice, pasta, and salad for lunch. And there will always be set dinners (unless you opt for breakfast for dinner, which is always acceptable and highly encouraged.) So you might be wondering: “How do I switch it up and try something new? Everything is the same.” Wonder no longer! Here are a few meals that you can make right in the dining hall to switch up your typical selections.

1. Peanut butter, banana, and toast:

This is truly as easy as it sounds. First, choose your bread (I suggest whole wheat bread or an English muffin.) Put this in the toaster while you get your banana and peanut butter from their designated places. Once your bread is toasted, spread the peanut butter and cut the banana up into small pieces to be placed in lines on your bread. Voila!

1. Açai bowl:

This one is great for those days when you don’t want a heavy meal and want something easy and tasteful, too. Don’t forget to add some toppings, too. A few possible topping combinations are:

• Coconut shavings and chocolate chips
  • Chocolate chips and freshly cut banana or banana chips
  • Granola and chocolate chips
  • Granola and raisins
  1. Mediterranean wrap:

This wrap will change your outlook on lunch. It’s so easy to make and is a great option for vegans and vegetarians. First, get a wrap. You can choose to heat this up by putting in through one round of the toaster or you can leave it as is; both are equally as good! Secondly, spread 1 to 2 tablespoons of hummus across the wrap. Then, add either quinoa or rice, depending on what is available to you. Then, add a few slices of pepper and 1 or 2 tablespoons of black beans. If you aren’t a vegetarian or a vegan, grilled chicken is a great addition to make it a little more substantial.

1. Stir fry:

In the home cooking section of the dining hall, you can make this meal very quickly and easily. First, gather your ingredients either from the salad bar or the home cooking section. A healthy combination is peppers, snap peas, water chestnuts, broccoli, rice, and soy sauce (you can also add chicken for protein.) Start off by heating the pan and spreading vegetable oil around the bottom so the vegetables don’t stick. Then, add the vegetables and stir them around with the soy sauce until they are fully cooked. This can also easily be made into a tasty wrap!

1. Caesar salad:

Although this one might seem obvious, it’s an easy and healthy option. Add more flavor and protein by adding a little bit of shredded cheese and a slice of grilled chicken. This can also be made in to a delicious wrap if you’re looking for a more filling meal.