This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

How people treat you is a reflection of themselves. 

We are constantly projecting; you really shouldn’t take anything personally unless it’s constructive criticism from a valued person in your life.

Don’t listen to condescending people.

They’re scared of your success, which is frankly none of their business. And if you think no one believes in you–I do!

Leave your hometown. 

There is so much world out there to explore. Go to another state for college, go out into nature, fly around the world, and get a job in a different city. Nothing is stopping you.

Soulmates are real, and they’re probably your best friends.

Even if you don’t believe in “meant to be,” there are people who make you the best version of yourself. Keep them around and treat them well.

Relationships are only one part of your life; you should have a lot of things that make you happy, not just one.

See my article: “Why I Love Being Single”

Wine

When I studied abroad, the Italians taught me that a glass of red wine per night could keep you alive much longer. I didn’t ask any further questions, but so far, it’s working.

No matter how bad it might seem now, it always gets better. Always.

Most of us have been through some level of trauma, but you need that for character development anyways.

You didn’t like him as much as you thought you did, he was just really cute.

/:

Being organized actually makes your daily life so much easier!

Who knew! Not to be dramatic, but “to-do lists” saved my life.

If something makes you happy, do it. You have no excuses. 

I’m not sure why humans always look for excuses to not follow the things they love. Don’t let yourself be one of those humans.

Manifesting actually works.

And not necessarily in a magical way, but rather by the Law of Attraction. If you set your mind to believe that you can, then you will take actions to make it happen and you have the charisma and confidence that will help you succeed.

Support others’ dreams. It’s not that hard to be nice.

It literally does not hurt you, and you’d want the same treatment. Lift each other up.

You won’t be perfect at everything, but you can be your best possible self.

If you can’t have a charcuterie board full of cheeses and meats, the next best thing is to at least keep the cheeses. (I know this metaphor doesn’t work well for my vegans out there, but I do have charcuterie on the brain).

Keep your standards high!

The bar is low, but the way you deserve to be treated isn’t. Stop making excuses for people who don’t take actions to show that they value your presence in their life.

Stop making excuses yourself.

Show up, be prepared, and take responsibility. Life’s not out to get you. Take the wheel and work super hard.

Take time to relax.

Working hard is important, but being happy is just as important. Balance is key.

Be careful who you trust.

Always hold closely onto the ones you know have your best interests at heart! They’re more rare than you’d think.

Don’t brag.

Have a humble rise and don’t show all of your cards right off the bat; you don’t have to tell people who you are. If you’re true to yourself, they will see for themselves.

Keep creating!

Even if you don’t feel like it.

What other people think of you is none of your business. 

Unless you’re paying my bills, I don’t care. 

You can literally do anything if you try hard enough. Follow all the things you love! Money cannot be your only goal.

So many people spend their whole lives falling into a trap of earning money without earning purpose. As Alan Watts put it:

“Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way… And after all, if you do really like what you’re doing, it doesn’t matter what it is – somebody is interested in everything – anything you can be interested in, you will find others who are.”

So, what do you desire?

Jess Solan

Manhattan '21

The future first social media executive-writer-producer-model-comedian-podcast host-travel blogger-in space. I'm a woman of many hat (especially floppy beach hats). Email: jsolan01@manhattan.edu
As an avid lover of all things writing related, Christine is a born story-teller. She is a junior at Manhattan College majoring Public Relations and minoring in Marketing. When she’s not writing, you can find her exploring NYC, binge watching The Office, or enjoying a good cup of tea. She joined Her Campus after transferring to MC and absolutely fell in love with it! She is currently the Campus Correspondent of her chapter, and hopes her articles can entertain and inspire women everywhere. After college, she plans to continue writing and hopes to publish a book one day. Be sure to check out her college lifestyle blog Christineeve.com!