This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

By, Samantha Keating

As a women’s magazine it is important to take the time to acknowledge and show our appreciation for amazing women that are not only role models but inspirations to us all. I have compiled a list of ten women who serve as constant reminders of how incredible being a woman truly is.

1. Mindy Kaling- One of my favorite people to ever exist. Not only is Kaling hilarious but she is a powerful & strong writer. Her talents were highlighted through her hit show, “The Mindy Project” which she not only starred in but was also a writer and an executive producer. Kaling can truly do it all. 
  2. Deirdre O’Leary- Our incredible chapter adviser! We adore Dr.O’Leary and are so grateful to have such a strong woman as a role model for our chapter. Thank you for all you do for us and for Her Campus at Manhattan! 
  3. Ashley Cross- An incredible professor at Manhattan who teaches various courses with underlying themes of women and gender studies. Dr.Cross is so helpful and always works towards assisting her students as much as possible.
  4. Blake Lively- A strong and powerful woman, Lively is an incredible role model. Not only is she an extremely talented actress but also an outspoken activist speaking in pursuit of equal rights, especially for women and children. She and her husband donated half a million dollars to Canadian charity Water First Education & Training Inc, an organization that trains children to bring safe water into their homes in bringing safe water to their communities.
  5. Hannah Gadsby- An absolute icon who changed comedy with her hit special Nanette, in which she brought to light how she was done with self-deprecating humor towards herself and encouraged other women to do the same. She gave her story to society to protect and in turn cultivated an awareness of violence against women and began a discussion for serious social change.
  6. AOC- a legend in the making. An activist and an inspiring woman, AOC is wonderful for many reasons, especially her willingness to stand with her supporters on issues that matter to them. Specifically, during the overturning of Roe vs. Wade, she spoke at protests sharing her own experiences and speaking on behalf of women who want to preserve their right to choose.
  7. Sarah Jessica Parker- Most NYC-based women view SJP (or Carrie Bradshaw) as an idol. She is the embodiment of elegance and class. A fashion icon who is simply timeless.
  8. Taylor Swift- There are not enough wonderful things to be said about Taylor Swift. Not only has she given us a surplus of amazing and relatable music, but she is also an extremely talented singer/ songwriter. She has faced many controversies for her writings about men and often speaks out on injustices faced by women. 
  9. Betty White- An icon, far ahead of her time. Betty White gave the world hilarious and charming comedies. Paving the way for movies and tv shows with women as the star. 

Ruth Bader Ginsburg- a legend and a gift. RBG did countless incredible things for women including tirelessly fighting for our rights, she said it best, ​​”Women belong in all places where decisions are being made.”

Samantha Keating

Manhattan '24

Junior at Manhattan College studying English & 5-year elementary and special education!