10 Reasons Your Best Friend is a Better New Year’s Eve Date Than A Boy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

New Years Eve is overrated. Not the sparkly dresses and the excuse to do stupid things, but the idea of finding love and having your memorable NYE’s kiss is completely and utterly overrated. Instead of that mush, what better way to come into the new year with your through-thick-and-thin partner in crime? There are so many reasons why your best friend is a better date than some boy anyways.

1. You can start the day off by doing nothing.

The truth is, there’s no one else but your best friends that you would want to eat donut holes and gummy worms with.

2. There’s no need to compromise your fun sparkle outfit and play it safe with a simple black dress for a guy. 

You and your best friends get to proudly sport sparkling: pumps, bandeaus, skirts, and scrunchies together. 

3. You get to do whatever you want, when you want.

No, I’m not playing into the general stigma that significant others have when they hear that phrase, thinking your one secret wish is to be able to make out with anyone you want. (*eye roll* oh, insecurities). Actually, when I say ‘getting to do what you want’, I mean being able to only think about what you want to do. You can party hop if you want, or, stay at a small gathering at home with Chinese food, if you wish. More times than not, your BFF and you have the same idea of fun. Being without the boy date, you aren’t obligated to his time schedule, or making him feel like his failed attempts at slight romance remotely worked.

4. It’s always less of a burden on you when you take care of your BFF.

After too much to drink, you would much rather take care of your best friend than a boy, and you’ll laugh with them looking like a 6 year old in her mom’s heels, instead of holding up the weight of a bear, rolling your eyes, and begging for them to stop asking how you’re “feeling” about the relationship. 

5. No drama.

Without a boy, there is no fighting about the plans for the night, and you don’t have to pick whose plans are first, since you guys have the same friends. And thinking about it, you can’t stand his drunken “bros” anyways.

6. No fights over winter-break-ex boys.

There’s no jealousy when your ex drunkenly texts you about how you “were the one that got away”, and how his New Year’s resolution this year is to “get you back”. Instead of having to explain that the text was completely out of the blue (as well as completely unwanted), you and your best friend get to laugh, take a shot, and remember the time he tried to write you an Elizabeth Browning love poem only a week into the fling.

7. Seeing all the awkward forced kisses when the ball drops is better with your best friend…

8. …and she is the only one who will hilariously laugh at it all with you. 

Plus, you both understand the truth in ‘sisters before misters’, and unlike girl friends who aren’t as close, you guys don’t feel that weird competition. Your BFFs know you aren’t defined by your New Year’s Eve kisses (or lack there of).

9. Your best friend knows the people you can’t stand, and will hide in the bathroom with you until they leave.

10. You get to get away from all the infatuations and sit down with your BFF to realistically make New Year resolutions.

Promises about you and only you, to get your damn dream life in order. 

Overall, you’ve never not liked your best friends company, during any time of any of the past years, so why not start this one off the same?

Tasia (pronounced tuh-see-yuh... yes, like the greeting "good to see ya") Adamakos is a Sophomore at Manhattan College, majoring with a journalism concentration, and minoring in English. Potbelly pig enthusiast, and a firm believer on women drinking Jack Daniels over vodka sodas, she constantly dreams of living in Manhattan to be a famous food writer (which would hopefully entail more eating than writing). Follow her on instagram @tasia_adamakos