10 Brand New Songs For November

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

If my last article is any indication, you all know that I am a full-proponent of repeating music until you hate it. However, after your weeks and weeks of pure auditory enjoyment, what do you do when you’re left with nothing?

Well, you come to me at the end of the month, of course. This week, I have compiled 10 of the best tracks released in the past month for your listening enjoyment. If you feel like dancing? I’ve got you covered. If you feel like holding on to the warmer fall days and pretending that the sun isn’t going down at four in the afternoon, take a seat down next to me. We’ll get through this together.

“Funk (I Got This)” by !!!, off of their record, As If.

As we approach the end of the semester, you might be feeling a bit overwhelmed. But, we need not worry. Why? Because I got this; you got this; we all got this. Some of the best music is mindless grooves like these. The lyrics? A repetition of “Funk / I got this” and any of the combinations you can make with those four words. The bass is simple and tasty (meaning that it is easy to grab on and dance to). The guitars? Even more so.

If I hear any other song playing in Lee Hall during a pre-game this weekend, I will personally bang down your door and be sorely disappointed with all of you. It will be awkward and terrible, so let’s avoid that encounter, shall we?

“Heart Is Full” by Miike Snow.

This song is full of soul. Quite frankly, you can’t have soul within a song unless you pack that son of a b*tch with horns. The main focus of this track is the vocals which are peculiarly auto-tuned. Regardless, “Heart Is Full” is a slow, groovy track that further prove that the Swedish are the only people who can do experimental pop music properly.

“Airport Bar” by Martin Courtney, off of his album, Many Moons.

Let’s take it down a notch and pretend we’re going on a quick highway drive, shall we?

Martin Courtney, of Real Estate, recently released Many Moons, his solo project’s debut record. In the cooling, greying fall months, the guitar in this song is warm and reminiscent of the summer sun. As you continue to dream of warmer places, let Courtney smash your heart into a million pieces as he reflects upon the past sitting at an airport bar, repeating “Don’t you go forgetting about me.”

I’m not crying, you’re crying.

“Adventure of A Lifetime” by Coldplay.

Because when Coldplay releases a new song, you listen. Although the band isn’t quite as sad and sentimental these days (Remember “The Scientist”?), “Adventure of a Lifetime” is song that is quintessential feel-good Coldplay. It appears that Coldplay is stepping away from its reliance on heavy electronics and trying their hand at disco-funk. I’m particularly fond of the chorus’ guitar with its descending guitar riff.

If you ask me, they’re doing it quite right.

“Flesh Without Blood” by Grimes, off of her record, Flesh Without Blood.

Grimes scares me. I wanted to put it out there. I saw her promo photos for this record and I wanted to slam my laptop shut. But I’ll be damned if she didn’t make great electro-pop. This album is long overdue and something you all should check out this month.

There’s something very lovely about the lyric, “I saw a light in you / Going out as I closed our window.” In short, each individual bit of this song is spectacular. Her voice is ethereal as ever; her drums and bass demanding poor dancing from you and your friends. Grimes has proven that even the darkest and simplest of synth-based pop music can be as sugar-coated as a Katy Perry track.

“Vivenne” by Sundara Karma, off of their EP, EP II.

All I want is more from music Sundara Karma always and forever.

The opening guitar riff is the definition of feel good and perfectly alt-pop in every form. If that isn’t enough for you, the chorus explodes into anthemic glory, begging you to sing along. It’s painfully infectious and its musical style falls perfectly the sound of the band’s first EP.

Just thank me later, okay?

“The Nile” by Kisses, off of their album, Rest In Paradise.

Kisses is wildly underrated. They have saccharine sweet songs telling of funny heartbeats and reminding you to give kisses when you can and yeah, those song can be annoying (done by anyone else), but when they unleash the funk? Brace yourselves.

“The Nile” is a jumping, groovy track that features a god damn bass solo. Jesse Kivel’s voice is soft and melodic – something that you would not expect in a funky sng. But it is this juxtaposition that makes “The Nile” stand out from other tracks that rely on the bass for a melody. And besides, if that bass solo interlude doesn’t entice you to listen, then you clearly hate music.

“Galapagos” by Kakkmaddafakka, to be released on their new album, KMF, on February 26, 2015.

There has got to be something in the Scandinavian water because I do not know how every Scandinavian band I come across can be so spectacular.

Despite the images of frost and snow you associate with Scandinavian countries, the opening guitar is an immediate contrast to any of that coldness you’d think would permeate their music. This song is bright and dreamy with a touch of melancholy. The Galapagos Islands have never sounded so good.

“Satellite 1” by Housse de Racket, off of their record, The Tourist.

When I first listened through this album, I came across “Satellite” and said, unabashedly, “What the f*ck?” and almost turned it off. Let me tell you what a tragic loss it would have been to my ears had I not followed through.

French band, Housse de Racket, is mocking us with their effortless ability to combine indie rock and funk. Power through that odd beginning and feel blessed. Throughout the song, there is a squeaking “ooh-ooh-ooh” that seems like an odd flourish. However, when it gives way to the chorus, you’ll be heralding it every time it comes around. That chorus is just plain euphoric.

“Ordinary Feeling” by Here We Go Magic, off of their album, Be Small.

Okay, now I’m really going to take it down this time. For real. “Making good excuses for my laziness” is a lyric that perhaps might strike a chord with you. This song is pleasantly dark and discordant. As you slide into your bed in the wee hours of the evening, you’ll need something to whisk you off to dream land. Let Luke Temple’s airy vocals soothe your stresses and soul; let the simple guitar melody trance you into a daze.

As the song comes to a close, as does the playlist. I’ll see you soon, Jaspers.

You can listen to this week’s playlist via Spotify below.

I am currently a senior at Manhattan College double majoring in English and Communication with a concentration in advertising. When I'm not writing about music, I'm usually eating soup dumplings or petting dogs - ideally at the same time. I'm proudly American with a half-Chinese and half-Italian heritage. You can follow me on Twitter at @ChuChuTrain. I'm funny sometimes.