The Top 10 Bands To See This Semester!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manchester chapter.

It’s that time of the year again. After months of sitting on the sofa watching the latest gems on Jeremy Kyle, convincing yourself that you will make plans with your friends soon, despite the small fact that you’ve tried a hundred times before and everyone seems to be busy doing nothing, it’s time to go back. Whether you’re returning to Manchester or you’re just starting on your three year climb towards a degree, there’s only one thing on your mind. Freshers.

But you may want to think before blowing your overdraft on the first week. Manchester is notorious for its music scene, and with this Autumn line up, it’s not hard to see why. So save up a bit of cash and catch these top 10 bands you just HAVE to see this semester!

10. WARPAINT

This four-piece all-female band hails from LA, with a distinctive indie rock feel to them. Think of the music for Skins; mellow, echoey with an epic climax towards the end of their songs. With spine-tingling harmonies and a dark undertone to their sound, Warpaint won’t disappoint live.

When? : Thursday 29th October

Where? : Manchester Academy 1

How much? : £10

Popular Songs = “Undertow” and “Billie Holiday”

9. SUB FOCUS

Originating from London, Sub Focus is one of the hottest Dance/Electronic acts out there right now. His addictive lyrics and heavy bass line will have you screaming and jumping all night long. A must see if you love club music!

When? : Thursday 17th October

Where? : The Ritz

How much? : £14.50

Popular songs: “Tidal Wave” and “Endorphins”

8. CRYSTAL FIGHTERS

This eccentric band is one of the most exciting acts to see live, proven by their massive turn out at Reading Festival where they headlined the Festival Republic stage. With Spanish influences that run throughout, you’ll never have a boring moment in the venue!

When? : Saturday 23rd November

Where? : Manchester Academy 2

How much? : £12.50

Popular songs = “Plage” and “Follow”

[pagebreak]

7. BASEMENT JAXX

This dance duo, originating from London, have been around for years, smashing the club scene with their chart topping hits. There’s little chance that you haven’t heard one of their songs blaring in your favourite night club or even a film! (Who can forget Bend It Like Beckham?!) These are legends of their genre, so don’t miss them!

When? : Friday 29th November

Where? : O2 Apollo

How much? : £25

Popular songs = “Red Alert” and “Where’s Your Head At”

6. IMAGINE DRAGONS

If you haven’t heard of Imagine Dragons, where have you been?! This Las Vegas band exploded when their anthem “Radioactive” featured on a game advert. With alternative and indie influences running throughout, these boys have an undeniable energy that will have you captivated all night!

When? : Thursday 14th November

Where? : O2 Apollo

How much? : £16

Popular songs = “Radioactive” and “It’s Time”

5. HURTS

Without a doubt these local boys are one of the greatest modern bands to come from Manchester. With synth-pop and indie influences, it’s no surprise that they’ve reached top 10 in the UK and Germany, among others. Renowned for their live shows, their epic sounding tracks won’t leave you disappointed!

When? : Friday 25th October

Where? : O2 Apollo

How much? : £16.50

Popular songs = “Wonderful Life” and “Better Than Love”

4. EVERYTHING EVERYTHING

This has really been the year for another local band, Everything Everything. Their unique sound; a mix between indie, hip hop and electronic, and the falsetto vocals, have propelled this band into the spotlight. If you think they’re great on record, you’ll be blown away by them live!

When? : Friday 11th + Saturday 12th October

Where? : The Ritz

How much? : £16

Popular songs = “Cough Cough” and “MY KZ, UR BF”

[pagebreak]

3. VAMPIRE WEEKEND

There’s no doubt you’ve heard of this band before. Hailing from New York, Vampire Weekend are one of the leading names in the indie genre, and this huge arena tour is definitely proof of this! Their upbeat and up-tempo anthems will give you a night you’ll never forget. After not touring the UK for more than 3 years, don’t miss out on the opportunity to see them now!

When? : Sunday 17th November

Where? : Phones 4U Arena

How much? : £28

Popular songs = “A Punk” and “Diane Young”

2. THE 1975

Yet another local band on our list! These boys have exploded into the music scene this year with their debut self-titled album set to top the charts. With unique vocals and a beat you just can’t help but dance along to, this band will only get bigger. They’ve upgraded from The Ritz to the Academy in just 4 months, and their tour is selling fast, so see them now while you have the chance!

When? : Wednesday 8th January

Where? : Manchester Academy 1

How much? : £15

Popular songs = “Chocolate” and “Sex”

1. ARCTIC MONKEYS

They don’t need an introduction. They lead the way for alternative rock, and after the recent headlining of Glastonbury this year, it’s safe to say they’re one of the greatest bands of our time. With the popular up and coming band The Strypes supporting them, it would be a crime not to see them! These tickets are sure to sell out fast so get your hands on them while you can.

When? : Wednesday 23rd October

Where? : Phones 4U Arena

How much? : £25

Popular songs = “I Bet That You Look Good On The Dancefloor”, “Fluorescent Adolescent” and “When The Sun Goes Down”

You can buy tickets for each of these artists at www.ticketmaster.co.uk or www.gigsandtours.com

(Photo credits to Andrew Whitton, The Telegraph, Jess Bonham, crystalfighters.com, ticketmaster.com, fashiony.ru, everything-everything.co.uk, billboard.com, consequenceofsound.net)

Danni Page

Manchester