jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manchester chapter.

Us,highly anticipated second feature from writer and director, Jordan Peele, has finally arrived and it does not disappoint. Everything that made Get Out (2017) a massive success is back and ramped up to the max.

The film opens in 1986 with a family spending the day a seaside amusement park in Santa Cruz. The little girl wanders off into a hall of mirrors where she comes face to face with an abnormal reflection. When she is later reunited with her parents, she is unable to speak about what she saw.

Fast forward to the present day, the little girl, Adelaide, is all grown up and apprehensively returns to Santa Cruz with her husband and two children for a family holiday. Strange things begin to happen until one night, they find a strange family standing in their driveway and terror ensues.

A mix of horror with a hint of humour is quickly becoming the unmistakable cinematic stamp of Jordan Peele. Us also has the same undeniable creepiness of Get Out, with its horror clearly linking to real life. It’s easy to see how current events have inspired Peele and Us leaves you filled with questions about its various messages. Just one quick Google search and you’ll see countless theories circulating the internet.

As with Get Out, the film comes to a satisfying end yet still leaves some strands open for interpretation. That’s the brilliance of Peele’s stories. He brings them to a solid conclusion but gives the audience plenty to keep talking about.

Not much more can be said about Us without giving too much away about its plotline but it has been described by Rolling Stone as “spill-your-soda scary” and I cannot recommend it enough. I can’t wait to see what Peele brings us next.

Hannah Tarling

Manchester '19

Studying Politics and Modern History at the University of Manchester. I'm especially interested in 20th century British History from the Suffragettes to the 'Swinging' Sixties. Any and all of my spare time is spent watching films, from the most recent releases to old classics.