Money 29 micheile henderson ZVprbBmT8QA unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Money 29 micheile henderson ZVprbBmT8QA unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Do Your House Christmas Dinner on a Strict Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manchester chapter.

As a student, food budgeting is always a tricky one, but just last week my housemates and I managed to make a roast dinner for less than £6 altogether. It may seem like your house Christmas dinner will cost a small fortune, but if a standard roast can be made for £6, a Christmas dinner can’t be much more, right?

Here’s a list of some of the most affordable and delicious Christmas essentials I could find, perfect to get you in the mood for the festive season and celebrate Christmas with your housemates before heading home for the holidays.

Turkey

Arguably the most important part of the meal, Aldi sells turkeys for less than £4 so make sure to cop yours quick. Mix butter, herbs, lemon zest and garlic under the skin for extra flavour. Also, there’s no need to drizzle a lot of oil on top – it’s perfectly juicy without.

Potatoes

Another staple ingredient you can never go wrong with and it’s only £1.80 for a 2.5kg bag at Asda. Remember to add sage and rosemary before roasting.

Stuffing

You only use it once a year but the sage and onion stuffing from Aldi is an unbelievable 34p. Pour into a baking dish and follow the instructions on the back of the packet.

Pigs in Blankets

Always the most popular item in any household, Tesco is the way to go for these festive favourites – £1 for a whole bag. Make sure to pick up some cocktail sticks if you’re planning to use some for snacks.

Brussel Sprouts

They’re continuously the most controversial item on the plate and remind me of cold, overcooked school dinners. However, if cooked well, they might surprise you. Roast in olive oil, salt and pepper for 20 minutes, then add honey and a dash of balsamic vinegar to mix. It will change your life! And, they’re only 95p from Tesco.

Roast Veg

You can’t go wrong with a few of your five-a-day to make yourself feel less guilty about all those Quality Street you’ll be eating all month. Simply cut some parsnips and carrots in half, place on a baking tray and trickle honey and olive oil over the top. Roast for 40 minutes for caramelised deliciousness. Lidl have them in store for 59p.

Cranberry Sauce

Undeniably the perfect accompaniment to your turkey, it really adds to the festive feel. Tesco’s own brand sells it for just 79p.

And that’s it. Your house Christmas dinner for under £10. Divided between five people that’s an enormous festive feast for just £1.89 each. I’ll definitely be cooking this cost-cutting meal during the few weeks because if this isn’t a bargain, I don’t know what is!

Mamie Colfox

Manchester '19

3rd year Classical Studies student at the University of Manchester, hoping to pursue a career in freelance/creative writing. Follow my blog mamiecolfox.com for some funny family stories.
Bec Oakes

Manchester '20

A third-year English Language student and Campus Correspondent / Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus at University of Manchester with a love for clothes, cats and crime documentaries. In my spare time I enjoy blogging, skiing in a mediocre manner and putting things in online shopping baskets before hastily abandoning them.