How to Celebrate International Women’s Day in Manchester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manchester chapter.

Happy International Women’s Day! Here in Manchester we’re lucky enough to live in a city that accepts people of all genders, races, religions and sexualities. To celebrate International Women’s Day 2019, the city is hosting a wide number of events across the weekend, supporting and celebrating women for their incredible contributions to the world.

March 8th
  • Bloody Women’s Day at Trof NQ: From March 8th through 10th, Trof NQ will be donating £2 from every Bloody Mary sold to period poverty charities, Bloody Big Brunch and Every Month. They’re teaming up with the organisations to end the stigma surrounding menstruation and end period poverty in the UK.
  • All Female Gig and Tap Takeover at Hatch: Hatch is hosting an all female line-up of some of Manchester’s most talented singers and songwriters as well as an International Women’s Day Tap Takeover [event info here]. OI will be using breweries will all female brewing teams across the weekend, while Takk will be showcasing coffee from female roasters.
  • SHE PWR: Manchester favourites, Gorilla and Deaf Institute are hosting celebrations with both venues being taken over by a panel of inspirational women, female jewellers, bakers, artists and loads more. Purchasing a £5 wristband [available here] will give visitors additional access to performances by word artist, Elise Hadgraft and feminist duo, GIRLS GIRLS GIRLS, Deaf Institute’s Late Night Karaoke and more.
March 9th
  • Suffrage City, The Sequel at The Refuge: Following last year’s success, the Suffragette City Party is returning for Part 2 with female artists gathering from far and wide to show the world how talented women can be. A series of artists will play between 2pm and 4am and, while entry is free, visitors will be asked for a small donation on the door that will go to Women’s Aid. See more information here.
  • Girlz Rawk! at Factory: The Girlz Rawk! Weekender celebrates female musicians who rock. The two-day event [which is split across two cities] will welcome artists from all over Europe for a musical extravaganza of indie, punk, symphonic and progressive rock. Get your ticket here.
March 10th
  • She Slays: A Buffy The Vampire Slayer Marathon at Stockport Plaza: Pilot Light TV Festival will be showing a selection of some of the best Buffy episodes ever between 1pm and 10pm. General admission is £11 and £8.80 for concessions and all tickets are available here.
March 11th
  • International Women’s Day Quiz at The Bar: Hosted by the Women in Media Society at MMU, this Women’s Day Quiz will test attendees on their knowledge of pop culture, music and all things woman related. You can either pay £4 or donate a box of tampons on the door for entry and all proceeds will go to period poverty charity, Every Month MCR.
  • Boogietown Babes at CUBO: This all female DJ set held at a Fallowfield favourite is also tackling period poverty by donating proceeds from its £5 tickets [available here] to Every Month.

This International Women’s Day, HC Manchester urges you to support and celebrate the wonderful women around you. Afterall, THE FUTURE IS FEMALE!

Bec Oakes

Manchester '20

A third-year English Language student and Campus Correspondent / Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus at University of Manchester with a love for clothes, cats and crime documentaries. In my spare time I enjoy blogging, skiing in a mediocre manner and putting things in online shopping baskets before hastily abandoning them.