Funmi Osiyale

Funmi Osiyale (pictured on the right), our Campus Celeb for the week, has had a busy summer. A third year student studying Economics from London, she’s just finished an internship at JP Morgan and at 20 has some idea of her future aspirations! We interview her about her experience and her advice on planning for the future. It’s never too late to start!

So Funmi, tell us a little bit about yourself!

I’m a third year studying Economics at Manchester University and can’t believe it’s almost coming to an end! I grew up in the outskirts of London, though my parents are both from Nigeria. I’m a student rep for my course and last year I was president of the BeconSc Economics society. I first became interested in the investment banking industry from Financial crisis funnily enough. While I was studying Economics in Sixth Form, a trader visited my school to tell us about the industry and give an insight into the world of banking.

You’ve recently completed an internship with JP Morgan over the summer, could you tell us how you came about that internship and what you did?

I knew that I wanted to learn more about the industry and had heard a lot about the importance of internships through various graduate events and friends and family who had found success in them. I applied online for a Summer Analyst position in the finance department through the company website at JP Morgan. The process included general, industry, and competency questions, a numerical test, a situational judgement test and an assessment centre day at the London Offices. The assessment centre was extremely challenging and consisted of two individual interviews, a group interview and a role-play.

I was ecstatic when I found out that I got the offer and was placed in the Equities Exotics and Hedge Funds Product Control team for 10 weeks. My role consisted of analysing profit and loss statements and sending them to traders, risk analysis and reporting and various other ad hoc tasks. I also got the opportunity to attend various speaker and networking events, and have one-to-one meetings with senior staff. There was also a Corporate Responsibility day.

How, in your opinion, has the internship helped you personally?

I think the internship has helped me to gain a lot more confidence through having to give a technical presentation to 15 employees including an Executive Director. The fact that I was doing actual work that needed to be done, not just something they’d handed me to keep me busy, taught me to deal with working under pressure. And it also gave me tougher skin to realise that when working you will make mistakes that will unfortunately impact others, and it’s important to learn from them and try to prevent them instead of getting down on yourself about it. Also through “networking” I gained confidence in talking to as many people in the office and different departments as possible to try and learn a little from each of them and hopefully gain great contacts and mentors for the future.