Career

Everything You Need to Know About Women In Media 2019

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manchester chapter.

This coming weekend, the fourth annual Women In Media Conference will be held at The People’s History Museum. The conference is organised and run by an all-student team from the Manchester Media Group, based in the Students’ Union and showcases influential women who have succeeded in careers in the media.

Women In Media gives attendants the opportunity to learn from successful female media professionals through a mixture of panels, workshops and speeches. However, it is not just for those wanting to purse a career in journalism, with speakers coming from a diverse range of media-related careers including radio, TV, blogging, PR and communications.

Speakers at this year’s conference include BBC Deputy Editor of Social News, Ciara Riordan, the training manager at Press Association, Tina Moran, and social media influence and blogger, Sophia Rosemary.

Alongside talks and panels with notable media professionals, those attending the conference will be able to watch discussions on a wide range of topics, including BAME in media, a guide to self-publishing and investigative news. A full schedule of events can be found on the Women in Media Conference website.

Women in Media 2019 promises to be “even bigger and more successful” with a statement on the conference’s Facebook page reading, “As women who refuse to let the obstacles we face stop us from achieving our goals, we aim to help others in their battles to achieve their own dreams.”

The Women in Media Conference 2019 will take place on March 2nd and 3rd and tickets are available at womeninmediacon.co.uk/tickets. All profits from ticket sales will be donated to MASH (Manchester Action on Street Health).

Bec Oakes

Manchester '20

A third-year English Language student and Campus Correspondent / Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus at University of Manchester with a love for clothes, cats and crime documentaries. In my spare time I enjoy blogging, skiing in a mediocre manner and putting things in online shopping baskets before hastily abandoning them.