This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manchester chapter.

March is Endometriosis Awareness Month. It is a worldwide initiative with the aim to increase awareness of the symptoms of Endometriosis, a condition which affects around 176 million women around the world.

Endometriosis is defined by the NHS as “a condition where tissue similar to the lining of the womb starts to grow in other places.” It is a long-term condition that can have huge impacts on a person’s life, with one of the biggest problems that sufferers of Endometriosis face being infertility and/or difficulty getting pregnant.

According to Endometriosis UK, the main symptoms include: chronic pain, fatigue, sexual problems, inability to conceive and depression/isolation.

Endometriosis Awareness Month is incredibly important because the condition can take a long time to be diagnosed. Symptoms are often similar to a number of other conditions and it is often overlooked by doctors.

A third year BioMed student at the University of Manchester told Her Campus: “I was sent to loads of doctors, mostly who were men. They all treated me very poorly claiming it was just a ‘heavy period’. The doctors won’t do anything until it is really bad.”

The magnitude of the effects of Endometriosis on its sufferers is ignored by many. Here at HC Manchester we hope to join the campaign in raising awareness for the disorder. 

On March 23rd, Endometriosis UK is hosting the sixth annual World WideEndo March UK in London. You can also dontate to Endometriosis UK and get involved with working for the charity on their website.

Jessica Chapman

Manchester '19

Studying Politics and Modern History at Uni. With a particular interest in American modern history. A love for politics, with the aim to increase female representation and participation within British politics. Spend too much time on social media and watching Disney movies.