This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manchester chapter.

As we near the end of 2018, the Christmas buzz is certainly dying down but the jam-packed festive TV schedule is still going strong. Here are three shows you don’t want to miss.

Les Misérables, Sunday 30th December 9pm, BBC One

This six-part drama is an adaptation of the Victor Hugo novel so none of the singing and dancing that’s normally associated with Les Mis. This is the BBC’s big drama for the festive season and they’ve pulled out all the stops with their casting of Olivia Colman, Dominic West, David Oyelowo and Lily Collins.

The story follows the hard lives of the lowest in French society in the lead up to the revolution. Inspector Javert spends year hunting down convict, Jean Valjean, while Fantine is forced to abandon her daughter, Cossette, and turn to prostitution to earn money. These two stories converge, along with many others, but there’s not enough time to go into them all so just watch the show!

The musical, Les Mis, has been on stage and screen for many years and is the form in which the story is best known. Most people see the story as a musical and this adaptation goes back to the original text to take fans of the musical to where it all started. I think this visitation back to the book, without the songs, will provide a fresh and truthfully original look at a well-loved story.

Luther, New Year’s Day 9pm, BBC One

Luther returns for the heavily anticipated fifth series. It’s prime time position in the BBC’s New Year schedule gives an idea of the show’s popularity. Previous series have faced Luther off against some pretty sadistic and twisted criminals and the trailer suggests this upcoming series is no different.

Luther’s new nemesis is only shown as a figure wearing a light-up mask lurking the streets of London and, most disturbingly, crawling along the top deck of buses at night. But, as if that wasn’t enough for Luther to deal with, we also get a flickering glimpse of the return of Luther’s first rival and fan favourite, Alice.

The plot of the upcoming series is obviously tightly under wraps but, according to writer Neil Cross, it won’t be drastically different to the Luther people already love. One new addition is Luther’s new sidekick, DS Catherine Halliday, played by Wunmi Mosaku.

I don’t think you need to have seen the past series of Luther to enjoy its return. All you need to know is that Luther is a bit of a rogue and sometimes heavy handed, but a clever detective with a strong conscience. If you like thrillers filled with creepy crimes, then Luther is a definite watch.

The Inbetweeners: Fwends Reunited, New Year’s Day 9pm, Channel 4

Can you believe it’s been ten years since the Inbetweeners first aired? Unfortunately, the reunion is not bringing another story but instead the two-hour special will include behind the scenes footage, cast member’s favourite moments and deleted scenes. They’ll also be joined by special guests and famous fans will talk about their favourite moments.

The reunion is then followed by four classic episodes: “Field Trip”, “Will’s Birthday”, “The Fashion Show” and “The Camping Trip”.

Hannah Tarling

Manchester '19

Studying Politics and Modern History at the University of Manchester. I'm especially interested in 20th century British History from the Suffragettes to the 'Swinging' Sixties. Any and all of my spare time is spent watching films, from the most recent releases to old classics.