Campus Celebrity – Manchester City

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manchester chapter.

Our Celeb for this week is probably the most popular of all, as we’ve rounded up some of the top places to go in Manchester City itself! If you’re struggling for a place to go for a special occasion – this will be your go-to guide.

Best date venue

Cloud 23, The Hilton Hotel. This restaurant/bar has one of the best views overlooking Manchester, with floor to ceiling glass windows and an overhanging ledge; you’ll definitely have a romantic night (or afternoon) in the clouds! A little on the pricey side, however RIGHT NOW they are offering 50% off Afternoon Tea for January 2014 if you can plan in advance! 

Pinchjo’s Tapas Bar, West Didsbury. A cute, alternative date venue offering a wide range of tapas, so if you’re looking for something a little different then this is the place! They do brilliant offers so don’t worry about spending tons if you’re unsure about your date! 

The hidden gem…

Wählbar, Fallowfield. Although situated in the centre of Fallowfield, the student hub of Manchester, Wählbar stays surprisingly hidden! With a great selection of beers, ales, cocktails and even gourmet pizza, it offers a brilliant night out if you’re looking for casual drinks or attending one of their many events. 

Best night out

Fridays at Factory251, Manchester. We all have different tastes when it comes to music and venues, but for a cheap collective night out, Fridays at Factory are the place to go. They offer three floors of different music, so you’re bound to find something you enjoy. You can’t miss out on the 99p entry before 12, as well as the 99p drinks before 12. It’s the perfect start to your weekend.

Dinner with the girls

Vodka Revs or Fallow, Fallowfield. If you’re heading out with the girls in Fallowfield, Vodka Revs and Fallow offer good food and atmosphere for an un-ridiculous price. They’re easy to get to, and you can even stay on after for a few drinks in both places, though Fallow does do live music events from time to time! 

Kro Bar, Piccadilly Gardens & The Alchemist, New York Street. Kro Bar is perfect if you’re picking someone up from the train station and you need to grab a bite to eat, or if you’re heading out into town afterwards, offering a lovely view over Piccadilly Gardens. If you’re looking for something a little more posh (and pricey), head to The Alchemist for an unusual twist on the average cocktail and dinner menu!

[pagebreak]

Cheapest Cinema

AMC Cinemas, Deansgate. We all know that cinema prices, even for a student, are ridiculously expensive. But AMC Cinemas offers a great student discount and tickets never sell out. They also tend to have a wide range of movies showing.

For a little break, Best Green Space

Heaton Park, Manchester. Although a little far out of town, Heaton Park offers a green space in the midst of a bustling city where you can relax. With an animal farm and country estate, there’s a lot to look around, so make sure you bring a picnic. Better known as the park where Parklife is now held, there are plenty of buses and trains that head out there if you can’t drive. 

Cheeky coffee

Teacup, The Northern Quarter & The Art of Tea, Didsbury. Both of these lovely tea rooms offer delicious food, but the reason to go would be their cake and tea. If you’re looking for a quirky place to meet up with friends, or to snuggle in with a book, then visit one (or both!) of these two cafés.

Best pub

The Friendship Inn, Fallowfield. Yum drinks, lively atmosphere, and in the middle of Fallowfield, you will eventually end up in The Friendship Inn. And then love it so much that it becomes your drinking hole for the entirety of your degree. (After some research it looks like their website has been hacked by the Nigerian Cyber Army, so maybe just pop down to check it out rather than looking it up online. Here’s a YELP review instead…) 

And obviously… Best shopping venue

Afflecks Palace, The Northern Quarter, & The Trafford Centre, Manchester. Even if you’ve only been in Manchester for a few months, these two shopping venues are a must see. If you’re looking for high street fashion or a vintage bargain, you can, and will need to, happily spend a few hours wandering around these two shopping centres. 

(Photo credits to thestudentsocial.com, designmynight.com, thealchemist.uk.com, flickr.com, mancunion.com, streetline.com)