This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manchester chapter.

feminism (noun)

The advocacy of women’s rights on the ground of the equality of the sexes. [Oxford English Dictionary]

Her Campus Manchester brings you the first installment in its newest series called “5 Feminist Things” where we will explore music, films, literature and pop culture relating to all things GIRL POWER. First up, books…

We Should All Be Feminists by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie’s We Should All Be Feminists is a personal and powerful essay, adapted from her 2012 Tedx Talk of the same name and aims to give a definition of feminism in the 21st century. Adichie draws upon her own experiences and explores what it means to be a woman in today’s society, resulting in a rally cry for why we should all be feminists.

Milk and Honey by Rupi Kaur

Milk and Honey is a collection of poetry about experiences of love, loss, abuse, healing and femininity by top 10 Sunday Times bestselling author, Rupi Kaur. She takes the reader through the most bitter moments in life and finds a certain sweetness in them. Her poetry is simple yet beautiful and grounded in the everyday experiences of women. USA Today describes Kaur as “the voice of her generation”.

Women & Power: A Manifesto by Professor Mary Beard

Described by the Observer as “a modern feminist classic”, Women & Power screams “it’s time for change!” Beard looks at issues of rape and consent and the stories men tell themselves to justify their actions in the age of the #metoo movement. She also explores how history has treated powerful women – from Medusa to Hillary Clinton – and looks at the cultural underpinnings of misogyny and women’s relationship with power.

#Girlboss by Sophia Amoruso

In #Girlboss, founder and former Executive Chairman of Nasty Gal, Sophia Amoruso shares her success story and the unconventional means by which she got there. Described by New York Magazine as “a millennial alternative to Lean In“, #Girlboss is both motivating and empowering, giving you the kick up the arse you need to start working towards your goals.

The Beauty Myth: How Images of Beauty are Used Against Women by Naomi Wolf

An essential piece of feminist literature, The Beauty Myth explores how in women’s struggle for equality, we are still being oppressed by our compulsive pursuit of beauty. Naomi Wolf exposes the tyranny of beauty in the media as well as everyday life, confronting the impossible standards presented by the beauty industry and uncovering the reasons why we are consumed by this destructive obsession.

Bec Oakes

Manchester '20

A third-year English Language student and Campus Correspondent / Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus at University of Manchester with a love for clothes, cats and crime documentaries. In my spare time I enjoy blogging, skiing in a mediocre manner and putting things in online shopping baskets before hastily abandoning them.