This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lynn chapter.

So you just arrived at college. You are thrilled to be there. You start unpacking your things and decorating the room. You meet your roommate, make some friends and have a great time. Then it comes the time to say goodbye to your parents and you know you will miss them but you feel ready to live on your own. But, when you are sitting in your dorm for the first time alone it hits you… homesickness. You start to feel sad, panicked, and overall depressed. You have no idea what to do or how to handle this new feeling. Here are some tips for what to do when you feel homesick. 

Realize That Homesickness Is Normal 

Homesickness is a very common feeling for most college students. It is the first time you are living alone with no parents by your side to tell you what to do. Just know that this feeling is completely normal and many others are going through it too! 

Get Involved On Campus 

Getting involved on campus is one of the best things you can do. It will keep your mind off how you are feeling and it is the best way to meet new people and start making friends. It will also give you a chance to explore your school and learn things about it that maybe you did not know before. This is the perfect opportunity to start joining some clubs and making new friends to last a lifetime! 

Decorate Your Dorm 

Decorating your dorm is not only fun, but it is also a way to make your new surroundings feel more like home. One thing you can do is put pictures up of family and friends from home around the room. Not only will it make your room feel more like home but it will also remind you that your family and friends will always be there for you. 

Keep In Touch With Your Family & Friends 

Just because you are not living with your family anymore does not mean that you have to be distant with them. It is okay to call, text, and even FaceTime with them as much as you need. I personally FaceTime my parents everyday even if it is only for ten minutes. We will talk about how our day is going and things like that. That short interaction goes a long way with helping with my homesickness. 

Talking to your friends is a great way to help too. It will give you a sense of familiarity and help you get through the day. I personally text my friends everyday and check up on them to see how they are doing. This really helps me feel less alone even when I am. 

These are just some ways that you can handle homesickness. I have personally done all of these things. It has helped me get through homesickness a lot and hopefully it will help you get through yours too!

Jackie is Senior at Lynn University. She is a Marketing major and has big plans for her future. She enjoys many things like fashion, content creating, and spending time with friends and family. Some of her passions are creating content and fashion. She is also the Marketing Director & President for her chapter. She hopes to have a successful career and a bright future!