Wellness > Mental Health

You are Not for Everyone, and Baby that’s Okay

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lynn chapter.

Think of yourself as a bottle of wine; many undertones comprise who you are. However, not everyone can appreciate all the qualities of every human. Often, we find ourselves seeking validation from those who consume our product. The fact is, it is nearly impossible to get unanimous ratings to please everyone. If the objective is learning to accept and love ourselves, why do we chase the opinions of others?

Each of us is vastly different… an acquired taste, if you will. You see the packaging and make judgments about the branding. It is only natural to try and make sense of the world based on what you see. There is a way to bypass that sensory intake, and conscious effort is required. When we train our brains to look at someone but leave the canvas blank until we converse with each other, then fair and more informed conclusions can be drawn.   

We spend so much time evaluating who we should be that who we are is buried underneath a facade. People are broken delusions, a shell of a man who was once free before conforming to society. How would we be if the thought process was changed to accept ourselves for the qualities that make us unique? Stop looking in the mirror and seeing a wolf if, in reality, a sheep is revealed. Living in fear of yourself is a cage that has no key.

The sheltering of potential is equivalent to living in a black-and-white world. A life devoid of beauty and inspiration is dull and pointless. You are the graphic designer of your label, and if every product had identical looks, then there would be no market. The most regretful action we can take is not being ourselves. Not everyone will approve of you or your actions, and honey, it’s vital to know that it’s okay.

Andrea Sofia Berman is a creative writer and Education major. She is passionate about children and helping people. She loves to use creativity to express herself, and hopes to spread positivity through writing.