This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lynn chapter.

In this very long year, there was something she learned that changed her perspective on all she knew, whether it came from feeling beautiful in a pair of sweats, or gorgeous all dressed up for prom, or even just coming to a new place where all of her experiences were welcomed. 

There was one day where she had gone to the salon, when she had craved change with her entire being. Her heart had broken and she felt the ugliest she had felt in years. She decided to dye her hair, changing it to be with highlights and caramel colored hair, with the smell of the bleach burning her nose even after she left. When she got home that night after spending the day at the salon, she changed into sweats and a sweatshirt. Next to her mirror, she had a bulletin board where she pinned pictures of her family and friends. There was one picture she loved in particular, though, and it was a picture of her mom with caramel colored highlights and a beautiful long black dress, where she had her head thrown back laughing, like she was care-free. She looked at herself in the mirror, holding the picture she had just taken off the board next to her face. 

“I look exactly like her,” she whispered, awestruck, “I look beautiful, just like I’ve always wanted to.” 

In that moment, her beauty shined through her eyes, and the love she usually saved for everyone else, finally seeped out for herself. 

After that, she lost sight of that beauty she felt. Until it was time to get ready for prom. That day was extremely hectic, but she had got through it. She had just finished doing her hair and makeup but still did not know how to feel. It was not until she put on her beautiful long dress and looked in the mirror that she realized for the first time she felt good about herself. She ran her hands along the trimming of the dress and felt the bumps as she did. She had looked in the mirror and viewed herself as pretty, gorgeous, stunning. All she had to say was positive things about herself, which was a change. All of her negative thoughts were gone and she realized what it was like to truly be happy with the way she looked. 

When she had finally left for college nervous of being judged but soon she realized that really no one cares how you look or who you are. She didn’t have to wear a full face of makeup everyday, which would be hell for her personally. She started to realize she could start finding herself and truly be comfortable in her own perfectly radiant skin. This was what she had been waiting for all throughout her teen years. She was tired of trying to be someone she’s not, she was struggling to find who she is, and for her to just give up on being accepted and being someone she’s not was a step in the right direction. 

And now she walks through the college halls with the best confidence a woman can have.

Jackie is Senior at Lynn University. She is a Marketing major and has big plans for her future. She enjoys many things like fashion, content creating, and spending time with friends and family. Some of her passions are creating content and fashion. She is also the Marketing Director & President for her chapter. She hopes to have a successful career and a bright future!