Career > Her20s

What Now: Making Plans For After Graduation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lynn chapter.

There are multiple ways to start searching for your future plans.

Everyone says college is the best years of your life. Although that may be true it can also be some of the most stressful years of your life. College is the time to plan out your future. You may be thinking that you have no idea what to do or where to even start, but there are multiple ways to start searching for your future plans.  

When the time comes and you finally are halfway through your college years, start taking advantage of every opportunity that comes your way. Sometimes these opportunities may not be what we necessarily want but it was what we need. Whether it be meeting someone who works in our desired field, reaching out to different companies we would want to work for, or reaching out to professors that had experience in your major. There are many ways to get in contact with people to start your search for opportunities. Word of mouth is a very powerful thing so by doing your best to always make an amazing first impression is key.  

Almost every college campus has a resource center to help with practicing your first interview, internship searching, and applying for jobs. Do your very best to utilize the time you have in college to get in contact with someone from the resource center to help start your search for jobs and internships as soon as possible.  

Although there is a negative stigma around college students right after graduation not finding a job, it is completely normal to take a gap year. A lot of college students work around the clock during their four years of college to be able to take that one year to develop a better plan that suits them. Some college students even take the year off to travel. If traveling is something that is very important to you, then there are several sources for college students to be able to travel and work at the same time. Some companies that allow you to work while you get to travel include BridgeUSA, InterExchange, work and travel programs, and any job that allows you to still work remotely.

On campus you may have heard the deadline to attend graduate school. Going to attend college a little while longer to earn another degree is certainly another option. It is impressive to have more than one degree in some majors and is another thing to put on your resume to make you look more qualified for the position you are seeking.

Planning for the rest of your life while you are still in college can be very intimidating. However, with these helpful tips on where to start hopefully it will take away some stress that any college student is feeling right now. No one expects anyone from college to be fully prepared in life, however utilize everything that has been given to you to your advantage.  

Kelly is a senior at Lynn University. She is currently studying Psychology in hopes of becoming a therapist. Kelly spends most of her time at the beach or listening to music. She loves helping people and learning new things everyday!