The Top 5 Taylor Swift Songs on Lover

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lynn chapter.

Taylor Swift’s seventh album, Lover, has earned over one million dollars in sales. It is the longest album she has produced yet, with 18 songs, while the previous record-breaking album Red fell under 16 songs. Taylor Swift is known to release music that stirs from the talking points of breakups, bad boys, and wanderlust moments. Her record hits over the decade included; “I Knew You Were Trouble,” “Tim McGraw,” “Teardrops on My Guitar,” “We Are Never Getting Back Together” and “Shake It Off.” The singer voices out on her stance on equality and secret relationship with her boyfriend, Joe Alwyn. The sound within her album set a calming and soulful tone rather than in her previous album, Reputation. Taylor Swift not only released the album, but also a clothing line with Stella McCartney and exclusive products at Target. Four editions of scanned bundles of Taylor Swift’s most precious journals that inspired her music over the years hit the stands on August 23rd at Target. With this Taylor Swift album being the largest produced yet, I have condensed a list of my top five songs on the album.

1. “Afterlight”

“Hey, it’s all me, in my head. I’m the one who burned this down.”

This song pulls on the heartstrings when Taylor Swift takes responsibility for the hurt in her previous or current relationship(s). It hurts to lose the chemistry and romance a relationship once had and this song speaks volumes for those instances. 

2. “You Need to Calm Down” 

“Cause shade never made anybody less gay.”

The singer holds a strong stance on equality with a colorful tone in this song. The music video is full of influencers of the LGBTQ community. LGBTQ supporter Katy Perry and Taylor Swift have always had a rough friendship due to past drama, but in the music video, they make an appearance reuniting their friendship. Taylor Swift started a petition with a link in her social media to support the Equality Act, which has over 500,000 signatures

3. “The Man” 

“And I’m so sick of them coming at me again. Cause if I was a man, then I’d be the man.” 

Taylor Swift was judged for dating around. As a female, we are judged quicker than men when it comes to intimacy, and Taylor brings it to light in this uplifting bop. It looks like Taylor Swift has found The One when it comes to Joe Alwyn. Taylor has dated around nine men prior to Alwyn, and those nine men being Joe Jonas, Lucas Till, Taylor Laughter, John Mayer, Jake Gyllenhaal, Conor Kennedy, Harry Styles, Calvin Harris and, Tom Hiddleston.

4. “Lover”

“Can we always be this close forever and ever?” 

A relationship can go far, and even turn to love and a family. This song relishes in those monumental moments. I don’t know about you, but this song is the perfect first dance song to have at a wedding. The music video’s aesthetic and production pull the song together perfectly. When I listen to this song, I can’t help but imagine a montage of the good moments in my life. 

5. “Paper Rings”

“Went to stalk you on the internet. Now I’ve read all the books beside your bed.”

There is something about the fast-paced love and need to be with someone. This song is for those feelings of exhilarating passion and hopefulness when finding that special someone. This song stands out the most in the album for its catchy beat and lyrics. If you are just starting to talk to someone in your life who gives you those butterflies, then this song is definitely a must listen for you.

Her tour has yet to be released, but until then, we’ll all have the album on repeat. 

Janelle is the Founder & Campus Correspondent of the Her Campus chapter at Lynn University. She obtained her B.A. in Multimedia Journalism during the Fall of 2020. As a creative and versatile individual, she finds herself excelling in both (creative) writing and digital media. When she is not surfing through runway shows on her iPad, she is on Twitter catching up on the latest social trends. She looks forward to working for a major magazine upon graduation within a marketing or editorial role.