The Driver Era concert
The Driver Era concert
Gianna Aceto
Style

To Rock Or To Roll: Why The Comeback Of The Punk Style Is Here To Stay

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lynn chapter.

What’s our lifestyle? Rockstars. 

After Kourtney Kardashian started dating the drummer Travis Barker and Megan Fox, the rapper Machine Gun Kelly, the media began seeing the comeback of Rock’ n’ Roll differently. Kourtney and Megan’s personalities showcase hot style trends in social media and fashion products. But what made the comeback of the punk style so remarkable?

The punk style was recently considered “outdated.” Still, it became an immediate statement when the celebrities started wearing signature pieces such as tooth piercing and diamonds, rhinestone fangs, all-black tight outfits, chains, and many tattoos. But more than a fashion trend, the rockstar move is also about a lifestyle of enjoying life, being young, and being carefree. 

Such characteristics came back in perfect timing with the moment we’re living in society today, especially with the rise of Generation Z and social media influencers. As music-goers and dedicated gamers, generation Z is all about meeting the trends and forecasting new styles that will be in vogue soon in society. 

The Y2K style, also in vogue today, brought a nostalgia from the late 90s and early 00s where celebrities and personalities would show up in magazine covers and MTV awards wearing mini skirts, gloves, eyeliners, red lipstick, and unique hair highlights. Artists like Avril Lavigne and the members of Paramore were leaders in the pop-punk lifestyle during the 2000s. 

It’s all linked: the rockstar lifestyle reflects the Y2K comeback. Dressing fun, creating memories, and saying whatever is in your mind without regrets it’s what Rock ‘n’ Roll is all about. Now, dressing in all-black outfits and creating crazy statements in fashion is cool as never was before. It’s like wearing your SO’s clothes and being stylish. 

But there is one main thing that the rockstar style brought with its fashion trends: a signature lifestyle. Adhering to this trend is not only about being young in age but rather in spirit. Which is the main thing that made Kourtney and Travis’s personalities inspire so many people through their social media content. The couple, who are 42 and 46 respectively, both parents and adults, still give out the energy of young people vibes. They showed that everyone can still have fun dating in their 40s, dress stylishly, and be bold. 

The Rock’ n’ Roll movement, originated in the 1950s in the United States, was nourished by many music groups that performed to more “realistic” while communicating it more straightforwardly, or as many say, aggressively. Such a characteristic is a crucial aspect of why this trend is coming back now. Facing the many political and social matters from the past years, people became more activists in the subjects, making them want to “scream” at the world their thoughts and opinions because it matters.

The punk movement, alongside rock music, clearly defined a way for people to express themselves. For this reason, the characteristics of this trend didn’t only stay in the music industry, spreading through other fields and into people’s lifestyles. 

“Pop punk became more than just a musical style but also an aesthetic. From skater to hip hop fashions, the pop punk look was a blend of different genres, hinged on a youthful rebellion of corporate lifestyle.”

—Alexa Dark, for the L’Officiel article.

How to Incorporate the Rock ‘n’ Roll into Your Life?

To start, to be Rock ‘n’ Roll means taking the gears of your life and guiding yourself to where you want to be. It doesn’t matter where you are in life or even your age; it’s time to do what you always wanted and never thought you could. It’s about releasing that inner side of you in the most classy and signature way possible!

Rock ‘n’ Roll is also about confidence. Be confident in who you’re, what you’re wearing, and the message you’re communicating to others. That is how you share this movement through your lifestyle. 

“That’s what the punk ethos has always been about: rebelling against established music industry norms, refusing to be boxed into one particular genre, and always an integral part of youth culture.”

Fashion Pieces that Bring the Best of Rock’ n’ Roll

Graphic Design Shirts 

A cool design in your shirt can say so much about your style.

All-Black Outfits & Leather 

Classy? Yes. Stylish? Sure. Bold? Absolutely. 

Crazy Accessories 

From tooth rhinestones to creating statement looks with big necklaces, this is what rockstars are all about. Break the norms! 

messy Makeup Looks 

Do you know the messy look that we know actually took HOURS to get it done? That’s also very Rock’ n’ Roll. 

Transparency with Second Skins 

Whether you love wearing it with a graphic shirt on top or just making it cropped, go for it! Second skins are a hot trend for this rockstar movement. 

Boots, Boots & More Boots

Let’s be honest; sometimes, a nice pair of boots make the whole outfit look great. So why not invest in a bold statement wearing a nice pair of boots? 

Pop punk, the Rock’ n’ Roll movement, or simply being carefree are trends here to stay. Embrace your inner self, express your style, and most importantly, be yourself always. This will bring you the confidence to embrace your inner rockstar and break any social norms to be your true self. 

Happy Rock’ n’ Roll!

Giuliana is a Contributing National Writer for Her Campus, and the former Editor-In-Chief and President of Her Campus at Lynn. She recently graduated from Lynn University, with a BS in Marketing, Fashion & Retail and International Business Management. Among a lot of passions, Giuliana shows a high interest in the Publishing and the Marketing Industry. She is the author of the latest book "Brand You: How to Achieve Success through Personal Branding," which was published in May 2021. The book provides a new perspective on personal branding and personal marketing. One of her biggest dreams is to continue growing her own brand and help other people achieve success through their uniqueness. Giuliana is also a sister of Sigma Sigma Sigma sorority, and member of Golden Key International Honour Society and Sigma Beta Delta International Honor Society for Business, Management and Administration.