This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lynn chapter.

Dear Girlie, 

Many times, you may feel as though you don’t fit in or that your value is being overlooked. But I’m here to tell you that I see you. In the age where Instagram and other social media platforms make you question your worth, it is sad to say it is normal. Trends and videos show you how to fit in with the standards of today’s society, when it should show you that you are you and no one can change that. 

From a young age, women are told to look presentable, to always have their hair and nails done or to not speak up for yourself and what you believe in. To sit still and look pretty, is the motto that every girl must follow in order to be happy. But will it really? 

Instagram models and all those celebrities can have all the money, fame, and looks, but when you see past all of that, they aren’t happy. Hence, that is why you shouldn’t try to become them. When you place the pressure of trying to have it all, you can lose things that matter to you in the long run. Spending those small moments with your loved ones, or laughing the loudest with your friends, or taking a day out of the week to pamper yourself. Being who you are and having the comfortableness of being in your skin is something that you should praise. Being healthy, happy, educated, and confident should be at your basis to have a strong foundation for your growth. Instead of trying to fit in, be the person that breaks the standard barrier and choose to not care what the other people have to say. Because at the end of the day you were not born to please others, you were born to live YOUR life, and if people have a problem with that just choose not to care. 

Sincerely, 

Yours Truly

“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it’s better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.” 

Marilyn Monroe

Alyna is Junior/Senior at Lynn University. She is studying International Business Management. She loves to use her creativity, ever since High school she has been bringing her creativity to life. Being healthy, be kind to others, and working on herself is one of the biggest values that Alyna has.