This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lynn chapter.

Sometimes watching reality shows lets your mind escape from the reality you live in and fly to a different world for an hour. The network TLC has an unlimited number of reality shows about people’s circumstances. You can always learn new perspectives on lifestyles that people can use in their daily lives. After understanding the people on the shows, it’s almost as if you know them. 

Welcome to Plathville

The Plath family is a substantial Christian family with strict parents who shield their children from the outside world, resulting in resentment from their elder son. The teens are realizing there is more to life than their parents’ bubble. Welcome to Plathville shows a different lifestyle than the average American family would live. It opens your eyes to the good and bad of the evolving technology world we live in today—the damage of strict parenting, but the good intentions. Sometimes people are so caught up in their world they forget to immerse themselves in learning about other people to open themselves up to different perspectives families have on life, which is all a learning experience.  

My Big Fat Fabulous Life  

My Big Fat Fabulous Life offers Whitney’s outlook on life and her choice to look beyond the haters and live with no regrets. Whitney Thore became famous when she posted a fat girl dancing video on youtube that went viral. Whitney Got her TLC reality show shortly after the attention she had been getting, both good and bad. The TV show explores Whitney’s life before getting diagnosed with PCOS, (which caused her to gain weight) and her current life. Whitney’s passion for dancing has never stopped no matter how much she weighs. The show also lets the audience see the troubles of being fat in a society where fat is viewed as ugly. Whitney is unapologetically herself and owns it. There is so much to learn about Whitney’s attitude on how to overcome judgment and live life to its fullest.  

Darcy & Stacey  

Identical twins Darcy and Stacey are full of life, and new experiences in their 40’s struggling to find true love after failed marriages. Darcey and Stacey have done everything together. They got married at the same age and even got  divorced on the same day. Their show displays how people of all ages struggle with relationships. They are in age gap relationships but feel age is just a number for their partners. They share their most vulnerable moments with the viewers. This show brings attention to people who have gone through complex splits from their significant others that it is never too late to find love.  

Sometimes people think reality shows are all about drama and the unrealistic lifestyle wealthy people live, but this is furthest from the truth on the TLC network. The displays discussed, and many others are authentic and eye-opening to the viewers who ultimately enjoy learning from other people about their joys of life and struggles. Watching TLC shows will push you outside the reality you are living in and open you up to the bigger picture in life. 

Ava Margolis grew up in New Jersey and now resides in South Florida. Margolis attends Lynn University where she studies Multimedia Journalism. Margolis plans to continue her education to become a therapist for children. She is outgoing, compassionate, and an adventurous person who loves sharing her passions with others.