Style > Fashion

The Ultimate Guide: What to Wear to a Football Game

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lynn chapter.

Whether you’re a seasoned football fan or attending your first game, knowing what to wear can make your whole experience a lot more enjoyable. Football games are about more than just the sport; they’re about camaraderie, the thrill of the game, and of course, showing off your team spirit in some fashion. The key to a great game-day outfit lies in combining comfort, style, and practicality. Here’s your ultimate guide on what to wear to a football game. 

The Importance of Team Colors 

Before you dive into your wardrobe, identify your team’s colors. Wearing team colors is the simplest way to show support and feel part of the collective excitement. Whether it’s a jersey, scarf, or a simple T-shirt, make sure to incorporate your team’s colors and spirit. 

Jerseys: The Classic Choice 

A jersey is the quintessential piece of football apparel. It immediately identifies you as a fan and provides an instant connection with others who support the same team. If jerseys aren’t your style, consider a team T-shirt or a long sleeve as a more casual option. Here is a link to some custom jersey options for your team!

Comfortable Bottoms 

When it comes to bottoms, comfort is key. You’ll be sitting for extended periods, and potentially standing and jumping when the game heats up. Jeans are a classic choice, but don’t rule out leather pants or even athleisure wear like yoga pants or joggers. 

Layering: Prepare for the Weather 

Since we are heading into the colder months and football season spans various weather conditions, layering is crucial. Check the forecast before heading out. A light jacket or sweater that you can easily take off is generally a good idea. If it’s colder, consider thermal layers, a heavier coat, and even a beanie hat in team colors. For hot climates, breathable fabrics and sun hats may be the better option. 

Footwear: Choose Wisely 

Footwear can make or break your game-day experience. You’ll likely do a lot of walking, so choose comfortable sneakers, boots with good support, or cushioned sandals. Steer clear of high heels; while they may look good, they’re not practical for navigating crowded stadiums or standing for long periods. 

Accessories: The Finishing Touches 

Accessories add the final flair to your outfit. Think beyond traditional foam fingers and face paint—although those are still great options! Opt for a stylish crossbody bag to hold essentials like your phone, wallet, and tickets. Consider team-branded scarves, hats, and even jewelry to complete your look. 

Don’t Forget 

Don’t forget practical items like sunscreen for daytime games and a clear bag if the stadium has a transparent bag policy. Check the venue’s website for any specific rules about what you can bring in. 

Overall, what you wear to a football game should be a balance of comfort, practicality, and style. With a little planning, your outfit can enhance your enjoyment and immerse

you in the spirit of the game. So don your team colors, opt for comfort, and enjoy the game! Go team!

McKenzie is a junior at Lynn University. She is currently studying Data Analytics at Lynn University and has a dream of working for a Big Four consulting firm. McKenzie has a huge passion for travel, trying new foods, and meeting new friends along the way. McKenzie's favorite country she has visited so far is either Italy or Greece, and her favorite food is sushi.