This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lynn chapter.

Reality, we all love it.

It can sometimes slap you in the face when you least expect it. Sometimes embracing the truth is not easy, but hiding behind lies means that eventually someone will get hurt. Ripping off a band-aid about something is difficult, but necessary. We all know that life can be less than pleasant sometimes and how you navigate your circumstances is everything.

Our perception of a situation defines the outcome. To quote Chicken Little, “the sky is falling” mentality will only lead to disaster. “Remember, your situation may be bad, but disposition and perspective may be your saving grace in terms of a reality check.” 

It is easy to get swept up in the sea of victimization or the “whoa is me” pity party, but that only leads to a sob story and not productive results. Our reality can be distorted because everyone sees a different version of it. There are two sides to every story and then the truth. Life is already hard enough without all the pettiness getting in the way, so kindness and empathy are the golden keys. Treat others the way you want to be treated, and walk a mile in someone else’s shoes.

Even though treating people with kindness is vital, being walked all over is not to be tolerated. People are experts at creating facades, but the pleasantries are not skin deep. Nowadays, it is hard to find genuine people both as friends and romantically.

“I think the mistake that people make often times is you just lose touch of reality and you have to never be afraid to call someone’s bullshit or call someone’s bluff when something doesn’t make sense.” ~Tye Sheridan 

Be real with people, because life is too short to lie your way through it. Do not let people deceive you with trickery or take advantage of your generosity. Reality can be a hard pill to swallow, so surround yourself with people who are not afraid to tell it how it is. You are who you hang out with, so don’t let falsity be the driving force of your life. Deal with situations and take the bull of life by the horns.

Andrea Sofia Berman is a creative writer and Education major. She is passionate about children and helping people. She loves to use creativity to express herself, and hopes to spread positivity through writing.