The Princesses Save Themselves in These Stories

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lynn chapter.

Growing up, I loved to read books, the ones with amazing stories and amazing female-leads, that made me feel like I could do anything I ever wanted. Books gave me the ability to daydream back as a ten-year-old girl and to continue to dream as a nineteen-year-old woman. I still feel like I could do anything I put my mind to and it’s because I have the imagination and the courage that I can do anything. 

So, in honor of Women’s History Month, here are some of the best books I’ve read recently with baddie female protagonists.

Number 1: the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling 

This series is a classic, and while one of the main characters is a girl, Hermione is Harry’s best friend. Hermione is extremely smart and knowledgeable, with the courage to stand up for herself and what is right, regardless of others’ thoughts of her. She was the smartest in her year at Hogwarts and literally saved Harry and Ron 99 percent of the time. 

Number 2: The Princess Saves Herself in This One by Amanda Lovelace

This one is a poetry book. The Princess Saves Herself in This One is about a woman’s path to saving herself and being resilient. It has four sections, starting with her struggles and past trauma, and ending with her realization of just how strong she is and how strong every woman is when they learn to save themselves. If you like this one, I recommend reading The Witch Doesn’t Burn in This One by her as well. 

Trigger Warning: these do include topics of sexual assault/rape, and her trauma with that. 

Number 3: The Shadows Between Us by Tricia Levenseller

Some people think this one is a little controversial on the female-lead, who technically throughout the book is considered to be more of an antagonist. This starts with the story of Alessandra, who is known to be cold-hearted, selfish, and unapologetically herself. But while she is ruthless, she is also just as kind. She has a plan where she will woo the Shadow King, marry him, then kill him and take over the six kingdoms he rules over.​​ I fell in love with this book because Alessandra wasn’t the typical MC where she falls in love and changes her entire personality because of it. Her character is so much more complex than other MCs and it was honestly so refreshing to read something more than the “I fall in love and forget about everything else,” type of book. 

Number 4: The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air Series) by Holly Black

When I tell you, I couldn’t put this book down, I sincerely mean it. I literally ran to Barnes & Noble the next day to buy the rest of the series. I fell in love with Jude, the female-lead and Cardan, the male-lead. Jude was born in the mortal world, where her parents died at the age of seven and she was taken to the High Court of Faerie. Despite her being mortal, she has wanted nothing more than to belong there. She does something that has to be done in order to gain her position in that Court. Here’s a quote that stuck with me: “I do not desire to do as well in the tournament as one of the fey. I want to win. I do not yearn to be their equal.

In my heart, I yearn to best them.” 

Number 5: Queen of the Conquered by Kacen Callender (Islands of Blood and Storm Series)

This book had such a grasp on me. I loved it. This book is about a woman named Sigourney Rose, whose parents were a white nobleman and an enslaved black woman. She becomes a noble with the power to use magic after the murder of her parents. With her new position of power, she plots revenge towards the nobles she believes killed her family, until someone else starts killing them first. This book dives deep into the topics of slavery and privilege. 

Trigger Warning: includes suicidal ideation, with mentions of rape and lynching (if any of these topics are triggering please do not read.) Also these are some of the ones I thought of off the top of my head, so make sure to research it a bit before reading!

These books have inspired me and helped me see just how much more women could be. We don’t always have to be the quiet, meek woman (not that it’s a bad thing if you are), if we don’t want to be. You can be loud when you want to. You can do what you want to do regardless of what everyone else is saying. You can be selfish and ruthless, but still be kind. You can be courageous and stand up for what you need to, and you are not too “emotional” or “bi*c*y” or “aggressive” if you do. To leave you, I’m going to give you one of my favorite quotes!

But I am done with being weak. I am done with being good. I think I am going to be something else.” Jude Duarte, The Cruel Prince. 

Hope these books inspire you like they inspired me to be as loud as you want to be, and to let the world hear just how loud your roar really is. 

Melissa is a freshman studying Social Entrepreneurship at Lynn University as a part of the Watson Institute. She loves to read, write, and listen to music. Her passion is helping people live better lives than they thought they would be able to. She would like to help others change their paths, as well as spread awareness about the severity of certain issues, like mental health. Her dream is to own her own businesses with a focus on resolving social issues, her mission area being human rights. She is extremely ambitious and determined to make it far. She's always ready to learn new things because she believes knowledge and wisdom are the greatest powers to possess.