This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lynn chapter.

The Conjuring movie series is known for creepy dolls, untamed spirits, and unpredictable endings. As of right now there are eight movies in the Conjuring movie universe. There is The Conjuring, The Conjuring 2, The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do it, Annabelle, Annabelle: Creation, Annabelle Comes Home, The Nun, and The Curse of  La Llorona. Although these movies differ from one to the other they still tie together to create the perfect haunted movie universe. Since there is talk of a new Conjuring movie coming soon I thought it would be perfect to do a recap of the series and what chronological order to watch them in!

The Nun

The Conjuring movies are released in a different order, this movie is the first one chronologically speaking. In 1952 in Romania two nuns were attacked by an inhumane spirit. One of the nuns runs from the spirit and hangs herself to escape. The nun is discovered by a local villager who tells the Vatican of the incident. The Vatican sends Father Burke and Sister Irene to Romania to investigate the incident. Upon arrival, they are met with both friendly and unfriendly spirits.

SPOILER ALERT: At the end of the movie we find that the local villager has been possessed by one of the inhumane spirits and the movie is a prequel for The Conjuring. 

Annabelle: Creation

The movie Annabelle: Creation is set in the same year as The Nun, in 1952. Although the movie starts in 1940 when a little girl named Annabelle dies in a car accident, both her parents Samuel and Esther grieve over their little girl for years. Years later the Mullins open their home to an orphanage and very quickly the girls find that the Mullin’s simple country home is not what it appears to be. The girls are met by dark shadows, notes being left where they could find them, and eerie feelings about the house. One little girl named Janice is especially liked by the dark spirit.

SPOILER ALERT: The demon possesses Janice and she runs away only to be discovered with the Annabelle doll and now Janice refers to herself as Annabelle. Janice or “Annabelle” is adopted by a couple and the movie flashes forward 12 years and this starts the prequel to Annabelle

Annabelle

When we all hear the name Annabelle we all get shivers, especially after this movie was released. Annabelle was set in 1967 when a doctor gives his wife a doll to decorate their nursery for their expected child. The night the doll was given, the couple noticed that their neighbors house was broken into.

SPOILER ALERT: The couple that adopted Janice was killed by her. Janice was trying to look for the doll. Once Janice discovers the doll is in the couples house she kills herself and the Annabelle spirit goes back into the doll. Once the doll is possessed again, you can imagine how crazy things got!

The Conjuring

In 1971 the Perron family move their five daughters from New Jersey to Rhode Island, to a house in the woods. Very quickly the Perron family noticed strange occurrences in their home like their dog refusing to go inside the home, the clock stopping at 3:07 in the morning, and small possessions around the home being moved. The mother, Carolyn, very quickly becomes worried about the house as every morning she awakes with large bruises, her daughters wake up to bad smells, and “people” grabbing their feet, as well as Carolyn getting locked in the basement. Carolyn contacts Ed and Lorraine Warren who are demonologists and understand very quickly there is something bad going on in the house.

SPOILER ALERT: A demon named Bathsheba sacrificed herself as well as her baby and cursed anyone who tried to take her land. Bathsheba ends up possessing Carolyn and you have to watch the movie to find out the rest!

Annabelle Comes Home

The Warrens take Annabelle into their home. The doll is locked in a safe place where no one is able to get the doll. The one rule about the place where Annabelle is stored is that none of the artifacts the Warrens collected throughout the years can be touched. Ed and Lorraine have a young daughter named Judy. Ed and Lorraine go out of town for a business trip and Judy is being watched by Mary Ellen (her babysitter), Mary Ellen’s friend Daniella invites herself over. Daniella is a sucker for anything having to do with paranormal activity.

SPOILER ALERT: Daniella touches almost half of the artifacts in the room and ends up getting haunted the entire night. More crazy events unfold the rest of the time Daniella and Mary Ellen watch Judy until the Warrens return back home.

The Curse of La Llorona

The tales of La Llorona are told to many young children to scare them into behaving. The story starts in 1673 in Mexico, a mother, father, and their two young sons are happier than ever. The mother finds out that her husband was cheating and drowns both of her sons to get revenge. The mother is so distraught over what she has down that she claims the lives of living children to bring back her own. The movie flashes forward into 1973 where a social worker and mother named Anna and her two children are living together in California. The small family is struggling with the loss of the father, Anna realizes that a mother is mistreating her own children and takes the children into a foster home.

SPOILER ALERT: La Llorona was actually torturing the children, and the mother was only trying to protect them. When the mother finds her two boys have died she sends La Llorona after Anna’s children. 

The Conjuring 2

In 1977 while Ed and Lorraine Warren are investigating one of the biggest paranormal occurrences ever, the Amityville house. All the way on the other side of the world in London there are strange occurrences happening in the Hodgson home. Janet, who is one of the children, starts to embody the soul of an old man that used to live in the home. Ed and Lorraine are not completely sold on the story that the family is suffering from paranormal activity as the Warrens received so much backlash on the Amityville horrors.

SPOILER ALERT: The demon from the movie The Nun, has been controlling the old man who had passed away to cover up the real reason the nun was going after the family. This movie is one of my personal favorites from The Conjuring universe. 

The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It 

In 1981, Ed and Lorraine practiced an exorcism of a young boy. During the exorcism the demon exits the young boys body and enters the body of Arne Johnson. Arne starts to feel unwell and later murders his landlord. Ed and Lorraine help Arne as he is brought to trial. The defense team claims demonic possession as a defense. This Conjuring movie has many twists and turns as the movie plays out. This movie although matches the conjuring movie universe theme this movie has some of the biggest plot twists as you will never guess the ending. 

The Conjuring movie universe is filled with twists and turns in every direction. If you are looking for a perfect new movie series to binge watch this Halloween season look no further and start watching The Conjuring!

Kelly is a senior at Lynn University. She is currently studying Psychology in hopes of becoming a therapist. Kelly spends most of her time at the beach or listening to music. She loves helping people and learning new things everyday!