This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lynn chapter.

By: Sofia Dajer

We are already two months after college started, and some of us are still getting the hang of it. Getting used to the new academic environment that it has is not an easy task. Especially when you are starting your first year and want to experience everything that college has to offer in the best way possible. Here are some tips that will serve you as a tool to balance your academic life with your social one and to manage your studying process. 

1. Organize your time 

Even though many find it difficult to do it, not procrastinating will improve your academic experience. I am one of those who leaves everything until the last minute because I know that I can finish even if it is a stressful way. Being stressed will not help you at all. It will make you submit an assignment that could have been done better, which would improve your GPA. Due to this, it is better to at least advance on doing an outline of your project. This tip works for organizing your time and making the best out of it. Investing time in your homework when you have nothing else to do will help you be more sure of what you are doing and have more free time that you are going to enjoy more.

2. Read the assignment description with anticipation

This one sounds silly, but many people ignore the assignments that are due in four days or more because they prefer to do them later. However, in my experience, there have been situations in which I opened them and realized that I need more time to do them. This can be because you do not understand the assignment or need more time to complete it, or the assignment requires you to realize it in a range of days. Which by just reading what the assignment requires you to do, you are already organizing your head about whether you could leave it for later or start it right away.

3. Have a group of friends to study 

I always love when I’m taking a class with at least one friend or someone with whom I can relate to my studying process. It makes me feel more sure of what I’m doing as to how I can rely on someone that I trust. To add on, doing homework with your friends (as long it is done individually) can motivate you to do it faster and to understand the topic that is being discussed.

4. Don’t be afraid of asking

Even if it does not seem like it, professors are more than glad to assist you with any questions that you may have. I understand that it can be hard to ask, but believe me it will improve your academic performance and help you make it easier. Having this reassurance that what you are doing is okay or that you are at least going on the right path gives you more academic confidence and a feeling of being responsibly committed to it.

In the end, it is all about those little habits that will help you achieve a balance and get used to that lifestyle that will keep you on a successful path at college. Being responsible does not mean not having any social or individual life. At first, it is going to be hard to get used to it, but it will all be worth it!

This is Sofia and she is from Colombia. She is a sophomore who is double majoring in Criminal Justice and International Business with a dream of going to law school. She loves to read, work out, watch movies, and travel. Blue is her favorite color, and a fun fact about Sofia is that she loves chocolate!