Wellness

Stressing Self-Care Without Over Stressing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lynn chapter.

It’s natural to crave stability; a sense of predictability and awareness. To worry about the future, and ponder the mysteries of life. We get so caught up in what we are doing, it is easy to forget why we even chose to start a task in the first place. Sometimes, we even let the task at hand monopolize our lives and forget that like a car, our bodies need fuel so as not to burn out our exhaust. So dear readers, let’s look at the paradox of stressing self-care without over stressing.

The basic essentials of human life are food, water, and sleep. When our basic necessities are met, we can think about being productive. Psychologist, Abraham Maslow, has a theory known as the Hierarchy of Needs which is the foundation for this train of thought. More times than not, we prefer to veg out and let the day pass us by. In doing this, unique opportunities will disappear for each of us that we do not even take the time to explore. That is one extreme of the scale and it often seems like the “more pleasant” option.

On the opposing side, we  have the  workaholics who eat, sleep, and live their jobs. Those busy bees are the  folks who overextend themselves to the point of brain malfunction. Their neurons are making so many connections that if they were electrical wires they would fry. Workaholics cannot tell the distinction between work and relaxation because they constantly have to be doing something. For these people, getting their brains to turn off is a challenge.

Relaxation is a happy medium of working hard and playing just as hard. It is knowing when to take a break so that you can give your optimal performance. Sometimes, taking a spa day can be the key to relaxation or maybe doing something as simple as meditating. Whatever it is that helps you channel your inner flow, you must take time for yourself. It is not selfish to do so; in fact, others will appreciate you more when you are at your best. 

Self-care does not have to be a labor, on the contrary, it should be something you look forward to. Taking care of oneself should be an incentive to regenerate one’s energy to achieve more. Life is too short to waste our days only working, and without a purpose there is no use for the time we are given. 

This is the real secret of life—to be completely engaged with what you are doing in the here and now. And instead of calling it work, realize it is play.”

Alan Watts

Andrea Sofia Berman is a creative writer and Education major. She is passionate about children and helping people. She loves to use creativity to express herself, and hopes to spread positivity through writing.