This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lynn chapter.

Each person’s strengths and weaknesses are different, this is what makes us unique and allows us to succeed in different aspects in life. For example, some people may be more athletic than academic and vice versa or even within academics someone may be good at English or comprehension and someone might be better at numbers and math. But it is safe to say that throughout our lives we have to do something that we do not like, something we know we’re not good at but we have to do it anyway to get to a point in life where we want to be.

For me, I am a more academic person, not so much an athletic person. I only discovered my academic abilities in high school has been diagnosed with learning difficulties and disabilities I thought I could never be academically smart or do well in academics. But in the last few years I have proved myself wrong and that by putting in hard work you get good results. They were subjects in high school that were mandatory to take that I did not enjoy and often subjects like these you don’t often do so well in. When I graduated high school and got accepted to the University I’m at now I honestly thought I would never have to come across math again or numbers. Sadly that is not the case.

As I am majoring in a business degree there are many classes that involve numbers such as data analytics, corporate finance and so forth and at the moment I am taking a course in accounting. This was my biggest fear, I remember doing a slight bit of accounting in ninth grade and that not going down so well. I am a person who always stresses about these classes where I know my strengths do not lie but my new mindset is that those courses or classes will come to an end eventually you’re not have to do things every day for the rest of your life. Yes you need the skills most likely lead by getting through the things you don’t like shows you what you’re truly capable of.

When I started this accounting class I was freaking out about how difficult it was going to be. To be honest the first week was rather difficult for me as I was trying to understand new concepts but I was very attentive during my class, I made my notes and did my homework and asked for help. After doing this and seeing if my method was working this began to become a routine and now I’m in the third week of the course and I’m grasping all the information being taught. I know at the end I would still hate accounting but I don’t know that I’m capable of learning something with my strengths don’t lie. 

What I have just spoken about you can incorporate it into any aspect of life where you have fear and discomfort. By focusing on doing well when it comes to an end you know just how capable you are when you believe your strengths do not fall in that position.

Lauren is an international student majoring in Hospitality Management. She is a very interactive, positive and friendly young lady who always gives of her best. She always wears a smile on her face and tries brighten up everyone’s day. She is very passionate about her home country and educating many young people about her beloved country.