This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lynn chapter.

Growing up, you most likely had your own room or shared it with a sibling. When moving into college, you are set to live with a stranger. This situation could go in many different directions, but the two most likely are: you either get along super well, or you don’t get along at all. I lived in the dorms for my first two years of college, so I know all about living with roommates. At first, it can be terrifying and make you nervous, but I am here to give you some tips on making your living situation better.

Set Up Rules

My first tip is to set up rules for your room. Your RA (resident assistant) should come by to your room and help you and your roommate set up rules for your room; if they don’t, you should do it yourself. These don’t have to be significant rules, but they could work as boundary rules. Some rule I suggest is  until what time you can have guests over. This is super important to set up in the beginning as you don’t want it to drag on and feel uncomfortable in your room. Another rule you should probably create is what time you want the lights to go out. You and your roommate could have the same sleep schedule or very different ones. Try to come up with a time that is good for the both of you to have the light out if one of you wants to sleep earlier than the other.  

No Need To Hang Out 24/7

You and your roommate can either become best friends or just be civil with each other. It is okay if you and your roommate don’t always hang out together. Every roommate relationship is different. It is essential to keep in mind that your roommate might want alone time, so make sure to give them space when they need it. It is also okay if both of you have two different friend groups. 

Communicate 

This is also your room, so it is better to speak up than let it go on if you feel uncomfortable. The earlier you communicate about a situation, the better; the longer you wait, the more the problem will escalate. If you talk to your roommate nicely about what is going on, they will most likely understand and try to change or compromise with you. 

Agree On Chores

Now that you live with someone, you need to be considerate and help keep the room clean. You and your roommate will have basic chores to do. Set upon an agreement on who will do what. You can set up a fixed chore sheet, or you can rotate chores every week. Both of you should help keep the room clean, not just one person.

These are some tips to keep in mind to have a good living situation with your roommate. Remember: it is okay if you have some arguments as it is part of living with someone new. Make sure to make the best of your dorm life as it will go by fast! 

Priscilla is the President and the Director of Social Media at Her Campus at Lynn. She is a Senior at Lynn University studying International Business Management and Marketing. She has grown up all over the world, this helped her learn new languages and different cultures. She has a passion for traveling and discovering new things.