This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lynn chapter.

While we all are starting a new school year, there is a new social media app to go with it. This app is called BeReal. BeReal is a French social media app that was released in 2020. It has just become popular in the U.S. over the summer. The app’s popularity had a major increase from June to July. About 7.8 million people downloaded the app. You are probably thinking: what is this new social media app? And should I get it?

Here’s what it is:

BeReal is another social media app that encourages people to post what they are doing. BeReal notifies users when to post at random times of the day. It gives you a 2 minute clock to post something. This app is meant to encourage people to be more authentic, instead of trying to present themselves in their best times. There are no filters or editing features on it.

People seem to LOVE BeReal, all I hear is everyone talking about it. BeReal gives people the opportunity to post their true self rather than them looking their absolute best, or them just waking up from a nap. People often post pets, friends, views, and basically whatever they are currently doing when that BeReal notification pops up on their phone.

Personally, I do not have BeReal. I do not have it just because I do not want to have any more social media apps. I’m addicted to social media (sadly) enough that I do not need another app in my life. But I have many friends who have it and they all completely rave about it. So if you want to give it a try I don’t think it would hurt! It seems like a really fun app to just stay connected with friends and see what goes on at random times of the day in other people’s lives.

Jackie is Senior at Lynn University. She is a Marketing major and has big plans for her future. She enjoys many things like fashion, content creating, and spending time with friends and family. Some of her passions are creating content and fashion. She is also the Marketing Director & President for her chapter. She hopes to have a successful career and a bright future!