Must-see Tourist Destinations in South Africa

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lynn chapter.

Wanting to travel to South Africa? Here are a few places to visit.

South Africa is a beautiful and unique country with many places to travel and explore. There are places that many people don’t know about, and if you are like me and love to be surrounded by nature, then these three places are the way to go. Here are my reasons as to why you should visit the Kruger National Park, Sodwana Bay and Cape Town. 

Kruger National Park is one of the largest wildlife parks in Africa. This park is home to many wild animals such as the big five. The big five is made up of lions, elephants, rhinos, buffalos and leopards. Kruger National Park is most likely to be the most well-known game park within South Africa. The nice part about this park is that you can drive your own vehicle around and look for the animals yourself. From my experiences at this park I would say Kruger National Park should be on your bucket list.

I only went to Sodwana Bay for the first time when I was seventeen, and I must say that this place is rather beautiful. Sodwana Bay is known for diving and marine life. One cannot go to South Africa without going here. It is said that Sodwana Bay has some of the most amazing diving experiences in the world. My experience from diving there can agree on that- it is absolutely beautiful. The beach is beautiful and the staff are amazing. They offer dive courses from your very basic open water course to becoming a diving instructor. 

Cape Town is a city in the Western Cape. It is very different from the rest of South Africa. When people think of South Africa they immediately think of Cape Town, when people ask me where I’m from, they expect me to say Cape Town. The city is probably the most well-known tourist destination in the country, and is where Table Mountain sets the backdrop of the city. Probably the most famous mountain in the country and not too far from there are the vineyards. Table Mountain is a must do as well as lions head both of these have the most magnificent view of the city. I personally have not visited the vineyards around Stellenbosch but from what I have seen and heard is that they are amazing. South Africa produces some of the world’s greatest wine, so wine tasting in the Bosch should most definitely be on your list.  

These three destinations are my favorite places in the country. All three are different from each other and truly express the beauty of South Africa. These destinations are right from the horse’s mouth!  

Lauren is an international student majoring in Hospitality Management. She is a very interactive, positive and friendly young lady who always gives of her best. She always wears a smile on her face and tries brighten up everyone’s day. She is very passionate about her home country and educating many young people about her beloved country.