This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lynn chapter.

Just remember that you will never know what accomplishments are going to come next because of that separation!

You may have heard about the recent hot topic in the musical and sports -or soccer- industry, which is the cheating scandal between Gerard Piqué​ and Shakira. Just in case you’ve never heard of them, Shakira is one of the first and most famous Latin singers. Born and raised in Barranquilla, Colombia, the 46 year old singer and songwriter has broken several Guinness World Records regarding the most viewed Latin Track on YouTube, the most streamed Latin song on Spotify in 24 hours, among others. By just starting her career at 13 years old when she signed in with Sony Records, the Colombian singer has achieved a net worth of 300 million dollars. Gerard Piqué is a Spanish soccer player, considered as one of the best defenders of his soccer era​​. The 36 year old has played in the Manchester United, FC Barcelona, and on Spain national soccer team. Currently he has a net worth of 80 million dollars. 

In 2010, when Shakira was recording the music video of her hit FIFA World Cup song, known as “Waka Waka”, she met Gerard Piqué. ​He and many other famous soccer players were invited on set for the video. Months later, the couple started dating, and in 2013 they welcomed their first son Milá​n. Even though they were never married, in 2015 they had their second son Sasha. 

Now, the reeeeal drama started to develop in 2022. On this year, Shakira was facing legal charges from the Spanish government because of an evasion of taxes worth 14.5 million Euros, her father was experiencing head trauma because of a fall he experienced. To add on, in June 2022, in conjunction with Gerard Piqué, ​the ex-couple announced their separation. Many sources -that were later confirmed- started to inform that Piqué cheated on her with Clara Chia, causing them to stop their romantic relationship. As soon as the fandom found out, many started to throw shade towards the former soccer player, and this shade increased when Shakira released multiple songs that talked about their situation. 

Genius marketing move?

It could be seen as it, because of how she took advantage of her internet-breaking break up, and started to release multiple hits. The three hit songs that she released were Monotonia along with the Puerto Rican singer Ozuna, Shakira: Bzrp Music Sessions, Vol. 53 with the Argentinian DJ Bizarrap, and TGQ with the Colomnbian singer Karol G. All of these songs throwed shade to Piqué and talked about how she was replaced with someone that was not worth it. 

Who knows? Maybe this break up was one of the best impulses for her to keep on having a great musical career. Some say that she could release a new album and that her fame is going to increase on a whole different level. This situation is an example of how something bad can have positive outcomes in your life, so if you are feeling sad about an ex or something, just remember that you will never know what accomplishments are going to come next because of that separation.

This is Sofia and she is from Colombia. She is a sophomore who is double majoring in Criminal Justice and International Business with a dream of going to law school. She loves to read, work out, watch movies, and travel. Blue is her favorite color, and a fun fact about Sofia is that she loves chocolate!