This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lynn chapter.

With pollution levels are at an all time high, it’s more important now than ever to take steps to reduce the amount of waste we produce. Living zero waste is an unattainable goal to set, but living low waste is better than not trying at all. 

Saying no to single use plastics is the easiest, and most popular way to reduce your waste as an individual. Some simple alternatives to single use plastics include bamboo utensils, reusable bottles, reusable straws, and reusable grocery bags. All of these items are cheap, and easy to keep with you on the go so you can opt out of single use plastics. 

Being conscious while in your school’s dining hall is another good way to reduce waste. With the meat industry contributing so largely to pollution, finding different protein sources can be a simple way to do your part. Eliminating the amount of food that you throw out after each meal is another way to contribute, because leftover food that makes its way into landfills can emit a harmful gas into the environment.

From the production of clothes comes environmental pollution. Thrifting and up cycling clothes is not only a good way to save money, but also the planet. Since the fashion industry contributes so largely to pollution, reusing and recycling clothes is a good way to reduce your waste levels. 

Even if you aren’t able to fulfill every low waste goal, every day, any effort is better than none. It can be as simple as saying no to plastic straws for a day or bringing your own grocery bags to the store for a week. Small individual efforts can also encourage people around you to make their own changes and live Low Waste. As an individual, you can easily make small changes in your life to reduce the amount of pollution you produce, and challenge others to do the same. 

Hi! I’m Caramia, I’m majoring in Multimedia Journalism with the hope of becoming a magazine writer/ photographer for National Geographic. I keep myself busy on campus in multiple clubs like Her Campus, Sustainability Club, Student Activities Board and more! When I have downtime I like to be out in nature exploring and finding interesting places to photograph.
Lynn University Chapter of Her Campus.