This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lynn chapter.

What makes our hearts beat? I’m not asking for a biological explanation; that’s long and complicated, kind of like love.

We all crave some sort of attention, and as people we depend on it. Just like the air we breathe, the love we give is a necessity. Life can be hard, and being around the right people keeps your world from shattering like glass.

Nobody is perfect, you don’t need to be a genius to recognize that. Love is the cart that helps carry the human baggage we all have. In life, we search for someone to care for and give our hearts to.

With Valentine’s Day around the corner, we must tell the people who revolve around us in the carousel of life how much they mean to us. But not just romantic partners. Find the reason to show your friends how much you value their presence in your world. Reach out to your family, and show them how grateful you are for their love. Maybe even pop a bottle of Champagne with the girls or with that special someone to celebrate the love you share.

Love is the bond that helps people connect with one another no matter where you are in the world. Our hearts are only half, until we can learn to let others in. We see the world a little brighter when we feel loved. Our perspective of life is painted by the people who surround us, and the time we spend together. 

Love is only possible because we let ourselves be vulnerable with people who make us stronger.

Andrea Sofia Berman is a creative writer and Education major. She is passionate about children and helping people. She loves to use creativity to express herself, and hopes to spread positivity through writing.