Lights Up By Harry Styles: The Breakdown

Harry Styles stunned all of us fans on October 11th (National Coming Out Day) at midnight when he released his first single in two years, “Lights Up” and the two minutes, fifty-six seconds music video to go along with it. The video is pretty much full of naked men & women with their tattooed bodies on full display. Harry was also featured throughout the video riding with an opened button-down shirt backwards on a woman-driven motorcycle. On a side note, I definitely got Matrix’s Reloaded vibes from the dancing naked bodies & if you seen the movie, you know what scene I’m talking about. 

The video starts with Harry sweeping his hand through his hair, looking up at the sky while he is surrounded by sweaty looking men & women. He begins to sing as he is in a dark, glittery suit while he sits on his knees in the ocean. Throughout the video, he is seen riding backwards on a motorcycle with his arms spread out & hair blowing in the wind. Also throughout the video is a scene where Harry is floating in water faced down wearing a blue suit.

“What do you mean?

I'm sorry by the way

I'm never coming back down

Can't you see?

I could, but wouldn't stay

I wouldn't put it like that

What do you mean?

I'm sorry by the way

I'm never coming around

It'd be so sweet if things just stayed the same

La-da-da-da-dah

All the lights couldn't put out the dark

Runnin' through my heart

Lights up and they know who you are

Know who you are

Do you know who you are? (Oh)

Shine, step into the light

Shine, so bright sometimes

Shine, I'm not ever going back

Shine, step into the light

Shine, so bright sometimes

Shine, I'm not ever going back

Shine, step into the light

Shine, so bright sometimes

Shine, I'm not ever (Ooh)

What do you mean?

I'm sorry by the way

Never going back now

La-da-da-da-da

La-da-da-da-da

La-da-da-da-da (Oh)

La-da-da-da-da (Oh)

La-da-da-da-da (Oh)

Runnin' through my heart

Lights up and they know who you are

Know who you are

Do you know who you are?”

(Lyrics by Genius)

My biggest takeaway from the song would be that Harry is in a place where he can finally embrace who he truly is. He is comfortable in his own shell and is not afraid anymore to reveal his true identity. He also encourages the listener to not be afraid to show your true self. You can listen to the song & watch the music video here.