Wellness

Knowing How to Say No When You Are Taking on Too Much

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lynn chapter.

This article is dedicated to all my college students. Once you’re finished with high school you’re excited to start your new journey in college but there are many things you need to get done while you’re in college. To start off, you need to pass your classes, still have a social life and other things such as getting a job and work experience. 

If you’re like me and you try to keep yourself busy all the time, you  tend to take on a lot more than the average person would while in college. I am coming to an end in my freshman year and there are multiple things that I have committed to and I never thought I would have that much going on. I’ve gotten used to how busy I am that when I have a day off I seem to get really bored as I don’t have anything to do, and I can’t seem to find something that relaxes me. 

I’m not sure but part of me likes being stressed as this tests how strong I can be. I have been doing a lot of things that will help me, like starting an internship in my freshman year when it’s not that common to have work that soon into your college career. Along with that I’m part of multiple clubs which have become reliant on me to fill certain positions. I realize that I said yes to those adding more to my plate, and deep down I believe this is because I have a fear of disappointing people. I have the urge  to prove that I can do many things. 

Now that my plate is completely full of things to do, I have to start saying no to other things that come up. This can be difficult and I feel bad for saying no but it is important for me to step up as I need to keep my stress levels at a manageable rate and still be able to have a social life and enjoy the free time I do get. My greatest piece of advice is don’t ever compare yourself to someone else. You can only take on so much and so much that only you know you’re able to control. Some people can take on more than others and some can’t and that is alright as long as you’re happy with what you’re doing and have the ability to say no when you need a break. I know that people are most likely going to be understanding when you explain your situation, if they really care about you. 

If you want to take on more, start off slowly. You don’t have to jump in to the deep end right away. Like I’ve said many people find it easier to say no than others so just find what you’re comfortable with and remember that you’re only a college student so go easy on yourself.    

Lauren is an international student majoring in Hospitality Management. She is a very interactive, positive and friendly young lady who always gives of her best. She always wears a smile on her face and tries brighten up everyone’s day. She is very passionate about her home country and educating many young people about her beloved country.