Culture > News

The Key Take-Aways From Meghan Markle & Prince Harry’s Interview For Oprah

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lynn chapter.

On March 8th of 2021, another bombshell interview of the Royal family was brought to the public. Following the epic Lady Di’s interview in 1995, after officially separating from Prince Charles, the same repercussion was caused by the one hosted by Oprah Winfrey. However, at this time, Princess Diana’s son, Prince Harry, was not alone in the situation as his mother — he had his wife Meghan Markle to go through this challenging moment together. The most interesting fact about this situation is that it seemed Lady Di knew one day this would happen. She knew one of her kids may want to break free from the institution that the Royal family is strictly part of. Lady Di highlighted in her BBC 1995 interview:

“I would like a monarchy that has more contact with its people — and I don’t mean by riding around bicycles and things like that, but just having a more in-depth understanding.”

At that point, many did not understand what she meant. But Oprah brought us some light by having a heart-to-heart conversation with Prince Harry himself. 

For those that binge-watched the TV show on Netflix, The Crown already gave away some of the critical traits and way to function of the Royal family. Between betrayals, affairs, and total commitment, people started to see some social justice issues correlated with the said family. 

Throughout the show, especially in season four, Diana’s story was pretty much the focus, and we could understand different aspects of her life since Prince Charles showed in the picture. The plot, of course, is dramatically incorporated, but the key elements are still present. Princess Diana could not talk to the press by herself or express any feelings she may have because of the severe restrictions she was put under. When she decided to separate from Prince Charles and was living a very different life from the palace, she could go to press by herself for the first time. Often being labeled “not enough” for the monarchy, Princess Diana changed the public perspective by showing her true self. 

During the same interview, Lady Di made comments like the following, arguing that the Royal family members were not supportive. 

“I’d like to be a queen of people’s hearts, in people’s hearts, but I don’t see myself being Queen of this country. I don’t think many people will want me to be Queen. Actually, when I say many people, I mean the establishment that I married into because they have decided that I’m a non-starter.”

In the same way that Lady Di went through so much with this family, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle seemed to have seen the story repeat itself. In January of 2020, it came to the public attention that the couple decided to stand down from royal obligations. However, many rumors were going around at that point, and nobody knew for sure what happened. 

It was not until Oprah interview both of them that we finally understood the real reason behind this difficult decision. During the interview, Meghan and Prince Harry opened their hearts to share their challenges and story with stepping down the Royal institution. Here are some of the main takeaways from the interview: 

Mental Health Was A Big Component 

Similarly, Prince Harry’s mother, Meghan Markle, had experienced severe mental health issues, especially while pregnant with their firstborn, Archie. Meghan highlighted how she tried to seek help from the Royal institution and was not listened to. The Duchess of Sussex also stated that she was denied seeking help from a professional psychiatrist as the institution did not see it with good eyes for what would be a “good” press for them. Prince Harry spoke up and was aware of the situation and was going through a challenging period himself too, but wanted to be there for his wife. 

“I share this because there are so many people who are afraid to voice that they need help, and I know how hard it is to not just voice it but to be told no,” argued Meghan. 

The Couple Could Not Make Their Son A Prince 

Meghan Markle shares that during the last months of her pregnancy, the couple were told that Archie, their son, would not be given a title and wouldn’t have any kind of security. Meghan stated that she and her husband were not very much concerned about the title itself but the complete protection needed for any Royal Institution member. Following this issue, the couple shared that Harry was approached about Archie’s skin color concerns — how dark it may be and how it could affect the institution. 

“The first member of color in this family isn’t being titled in the same way as other grandchildren would be,” told Meghan. 

Harry Felt Trapped And Remembered His Mother 

When Prince Harry met Meghan, he was for sure introduced to a new “world.” He felt trapped in the Royal institution but had no idea until he met the love of his life. Prince Harry could be in a relationship with someone who was not part of the significant Royal process and everything it involves, which helped him clarify some points in his life. He also mentions his mother during this process and how he felt the story could be repeating itself. After they decided to step down from royal obligations, Prince Harry shared he was financially sustaining his family with what his mother left him, adding that she may “have seen it coming.” Regarding his father, Prince Charles, and his brother, Prince William, he stated that he cares for them very much but expected more support through this process from his closest relatives, especially with baby Archie in the picture. 

“I feel really let down because he [Prince Charles] has been through something similar. He knows what pain feels like. And Archie’s his grandson […] I love William to bits. He’s my brother; we’ve been through hell together. We were on different paths,” stated Prince Harry. 

The Fairytale Wedding

The Royal Wedding of Prince Harry and Meghan was not really the official day. The couple stated that they had got married three days before the ceremony, having a small gathering in their garden. They added the importance of having a special moment only for themselves, to truly see what it meant for each other, without anyone else present.

“We called the archbishop, and we just said, ‘Look, this thing, this spectacle is for the world, but we want our union between us,” shared Meghan. 

A Happy Ending 

After everything the couple has been gone through, Meghan states that her fairytale story of marrying a prince for sure has its happy ending. The couple is expecting their second child, a baby girl. They are looking forward to growing their family and especially away from the challenges and obligations of the Royal Institution. The new family is ready for a new beginning, after a happy ending. 

“Greater than any fairytale you’ve ever read,” said Meghan. 

With that, the Royal family is for sure under the public eye, and people are more than ever inclined to seek sources and true stories before making an assumption. All we have to say is wish the best of luck to the new family in their new life, hoping that it is filled with their true love and hope of better days for the Royal Institution.

Giuliana is a Contributing National Writer for Her Campus, and the former Editor-In-Chief and President of Her Campus at Lynn. She recently graduated from Lynn University, with a BS in Marketing, Fashion & Retail and International Business Management. Among a lot of passions, Giuliana shows a high interest in the Publishing and the Marketing Industry. She is the author of the latest book "Brand You: How to Achieve Success through Personal Branding," which was published in May 2021. The book provides a new perspective on personal branding and personal marketing. One of her biggest dreams is to continue growing her own brand and help other people achieve success through their uniqueness. Giuliana is also a sister of Sigma Sigma Sigma sorority, and member of Golden Key International Honour Society and Sigma Beta Delta International Honor Society for Business, Management and Administration.