This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lynn chapter.

Sometimes, Valentine’s Day can feel like it’s the day that purposefully points out and amplifies that you are the only person in the world who is single and not lovestruck with another human. Why is it that every other day, we feel good about our independence and absolutely love the single-life until February 14th? February as a whole can seriously emphasize loneliness when you are single. 

For that, here are four reasons on how to not be single on Valentine’s Day:

Take a Day Off Social Media 

If seeing photos with the hashtag #CoupleGoals and “I love you boo” captions on the ‘gram is going to make you feel even worse, delete the app for the day or just be mindful of your scrolling. If you were ever looking for a good excuse to “hibernate”, then V-Day might be the best excuse to do so. Turn your phone on “Do Not Distrub” mode and order your favorite take-out. Dating Scout, Chris Pleins says “with all the burnout and stress from your everyday life, you’re likely in need of a rest anyway”. Just remind yourself to be happy and that it’s okay to rest once in a while and focus on self-care.

Self-Care 

Beating yourself up for being single will do you no good. You may question every little thing about yourself especially on a day where everyone else is receiving or giving love to another. Do not think you are doomed to be alone forever and indulge in your negative thoughts, get your mind off the topic and think about looking after yourself. Dedicate this day to self-care such as pampering, loving and attention that you’d otherwise be giving someone else who probably, doesn’t even deserve it. Rather, take the advice from a licensed psychotherapist Markesha Miller, “celebrate you and the progress you have continued to make in your life. Talk about the future that you anticipate for yourself. This is the perfect time to fall in love with yourself”.

There Is a Difference Between Being Alone and Being Lonely 

Evaluating all the people and things you have to be grateful for in your life can really remind you that not having a boyfriend/girlfriend on Valentine’s Day is not the end of the world. Focus on the people that are already part of your life instead of the people that aren’t. This way, you actually realize the difference of being alone and feeling lonely. If you think about it, you are actually really lucky to have family and friends around you that support and love you, so you shouldn’t feel lonely. Overall, practice gratitude.  

Connect 

Valentine’s Day is not necessarily only for celebrating couples. It’s a fun idea to host a socially-distant dinner or even a zoom call with other single friends in a way to create some laughter to eliminate any negativity you may be feeling. If you are feeling lonely about not being spoiled or not having a romantic partner to spoil, why not treat some of your closest friends instead? Galentine’s Day with your girls is one of the best ways to make this day about loving your truest friends and treating each other! 

Just remember: V-day isn’t exclusively for couples (even though it may feel that way). Valentine’s Day overall should be a day dedicated to loving your friends, family and most importantly, yourself. Remember that Valentine’s Day only happens once a year, come February 15th, all those red and pink cards with heartfelt messages will be left in a dumpster somewhere.

Kelly Webb is the Vice President and Content Creator Director of Her Campus at Lynn. Kelly is an international student from South Africa studying Fashion and Retail Management at Lynn University. She holds other leadership positions such as the Recruitment and Social Media Chair of Theta Phi Alpha sorority. Kelly is extremely creative and she loves sharing her passion and interests with others.
Lynn University Chapter of Her Campus.