Style > Beauty

How to Keep Your Color-Treated Hair Looking Healthy and Luscious

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lynn chapter.

A lot of us women like to get our hair dyed or highlighted frequently, because we want to have that beautiful platinum blonde or dark auburn hair color that we love but were not naturally born with. Coloring your hair can give you a life-changing boost of confidence, because your hair is the color you want it to be, and no one has to know that is actually artificial! However, one of the only downsides to coloring your hair is that the bleach used to strip your hair of its natural color also strips your hair of its natural oils especially when used on your hair very often. As a result, coloring your hair frequently can cause serious damage to your hair and can make your hair look dry and fried which is not the most attractive look. My hair in the past has looked very dry, frizzy, and damaged from the usual full head of highlights I get done typically every few months. But now I have started doing things to my hair to better take care of it and make it look and feel more healthy, and I’ve got to tell you it has made a huge difference! My tomboy sister who doesn’t often notice small details of someone’s appearance has even told me that it looks ten times better than it did a few months ago! So without further ado, here is how I changed my hair from looking like a fried frizzy mess to looking beautiful, silky, and smooth in just a short period of time!

Use a hot oil treatment.

Hot oil treatments will literally change your life. Using a hot oil treatment makes a dramatic difference in the way your hair looks and feels. Your hair will feel so much softer and look so much more shiny and smooth. You can buy one over the counter for a cheap price at somewhere like Sally Beauty, however it is better to just use virgin olive oil since it will not contain any kind of chemicals like most over-the-counter hair products do. The best way to use a hot oil treatment is to use about 1/3 cup of olive oil and put it in the microwave for ten seconds to heat it up. Then, drench it all throughout your hair and massage it on your scalp as well. Leave it in your hair overnight and wash it out in the morning. You should shampoo your hair two times. When your hair dries, you will be amazed with the results; my hair looked extraordinary more healthy! It is recommended to use a hot oil treatment about once a week or perhaps twice if your hair is severely damaged.

Use keratin-infused shampoo and conditioner, a sulfate-free shampoo is also a must!

Keratin protein is great for your hair, therefore using a shampoo and conditioner that contains protein will work wonders on your hair and make it look much healthier. The shampoo and conditioner that you use can make a tremendous difference, and if you color your hair often it is especially important to use shampoo and conditioner that it is also extra moisturizing. I personally love using the Chi Keratin Reconstructing Conditioner which contains jojoba and argon oils as well as hydrolyzed silk, ingredients that are proven to give your hair extra moisture and shine. You can buy it at Ulta for $17.50 https://www.ulta.com/keratin-reconstructing-conditioner?productId=xlsImpprod5180367, but I found it at Marshalls recently for half the price! When you color your hair, it is imperative to wash your hair with shampoo that does not contain sulfates since they can strip your hair of the hair dye over time. I use a sulfate-free Keratin Shampoo from the salon I get my hair done at, but the Fekkai Technician Color Shampoo is a very affordable (only $5!!) https://fekkai.com/products/technician-color-shampoo?variant=31618199093338&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjw09HzBRDrARIsAG60GP-BBP20piycUuyyJPucofzyUdkdQuluY4uQg6Nn6xJZLKdq_qsRKw4aAoYMEALw_wcB and highly-rated product that is specifically made for color-treated hair and has keratin in it and most importantly does not contain sulfates. It is also vegan and free of other unhealthy but frequently used hair product ingredients such as parabens, which have been proven to be harmful on your scalp, and silicones, which instantly make your hair look more shiny but actually damages it in the long run. It’s so important especially with over-processed hair to pay attention to the ingredients that are in your shampoo and conditioner. It is also best in general but especially for color-treated hair to only wash your hair about three or four times a week, because washing it everyday will strip your hair of its natural oils making in dryer. 

Use a leave-conditioner 

Using a leave-in conditioner after washing your hair and using a regular conditioner really helps your hair remain in healthy condition. You can see instant results in your hair after using a good quality leave-in conditioner, but it will especially make a big difference after you have been using it consistently over a long period of time. I am absolutely in love with my Kenra Blow-dry Spray https://www.amazon.com/Kenra-Platinum-Blow-Dry-Spray-6-8-Fluid/dp/B005BEF5EQ . It smells amazing, like candy, which is why they call it the “Yummy” Spray at the salon I go to! However, it is $35, which may be a bit of a splurge for those of us on a tighter budget. While it is a good investment, spending that much money on a leave-in conditioner is not completely necessary. The Chi Keratin Reconstructing leave-in conditioner https://www.amazon.com/CHI-Keratin-Leave-Conditioner-Fl/dp/B00CMIMM7M is another product I love that is much more affordable especially if you buy it at Marshalls (they sell it there for only about $8 which is quite a steal!). 

Limit heat styling

This one’s kind of a no-brainer. I’m pretty sure most of us know that heat is damaging to your hair meaning that frequently styling your hair using blow-dryers, flat irons, curling irons, etc. severely damages your hair over time especially if you already color-treat it. So especially if you color your hair, it is best to limit using these tools as much as you can. They may make your hair look absolutely stunning for short while, but in the long run the heat dries out your hair making it look less luscious and naturally beautiful. So try to keep heat styling your hair to a minimum, maybe just occasionally when you’re going out or only on special occasions.  

Only if it’s a hair emergency, use Damage Defy!

If your hair is showing so much visible damage that you feel you need a serious hair intervention, an intense hair treatment called Damage Defy is very effective to use as a last resort or if your hair needs a little something extra to look and feel healthy again. When my hair really looked like it needed special help, I went to the local salon I always go to, and they gave me a Damage Defy treatment to repair my fried and damaged hair. Sometimes if they are the stylists that do your hair and your hair is looking seriously damaged, they will give you a Damage Defy treatment for free, especially if you’re a loyal client, which is what my hair dressers did for me (thanks Lacey and Clarisse!). If not, you can always pay for a hairdresser to do it for you which may cost around $20 depending on what salon you go to. Or you can buy the Joico Damage Defy kit for yourself at a place like Ulta or Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Joico-Defy-Damage-DELUXE-PRO/dp/B07PD9N7PV, and then you’ll be able to use the treatment a whole lot of times which will truly transform the health and appearance of your hair. This kit usually costs about $74.97 which is quite pricey, but it comes with full bottles of the Damage Defy shampoo, conditioner, hair mask, and hair serum so it is actually a great value and most importantly, using the products consistently makes a huge difference. However, you can also buy a kit of smaller-sized bottles of the products at Ulta for only $17.99 https://www.ulta.com/defy-damage-care-trial-kit?productId=pimprod2004804. When I got my Damage Defy treatment done I noticed immediate dramatic results. My hair stylists gave me a couple free samples of the treatment and using them improved the health of my hair even more. I may sound like I’m trying to sell this treatment but I promise no one is sponsoring me; this treatment really works miracles!

It is so important to take proper care of your hair when you color-treat is so that is remains in healthy condition and does not look fried and lose its luster. While coloring your hair does require extra maintenance in order to keep your hair healthy, to me it is worth it because your hair looks exactly the way you want it to and you feel like you are ready to take on the world!

Hi my name is Lexie, and I’m studying Communications and Emerging Media at Lynn University in Boca Raton, Florida with a minor in Fashion and Retail. My passions are writing, blogging, fashion, beauty, mental health, and helping others live a happy and positive life. I have my own personal fashion and lifestyle blog called http://princessstylediaries.home.blog that I am very passionate about. I love to hang out with friends, go to the beach, go shopping, go out to eat, and spend way too much time on social media. I am obsessed with Shirley Temples and drink one every day. I also have a puppy and kitty at my parents’ house in Atlanta that are my best friends in the whole world. I’m anticipating graduating in May of 2021 and am not sure exactly what I want to do with my life yet but hope to pursue a fulfilling career after college that has to do with my passions.
Lynn University Chapter of Her Campus.