This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lynn chapter.

These days you can approximately find any of your favorite shows on any streaming platform. Whether it’s Netflix, Hulu, HBO Max, or something else, it will certainly be there. I for sure could spout off what shows I have been watching lately on these services, but I also could tell you about all of my favorite shows on cable. That’s right, my parents still have cable and when I come home for the summer, that is all I do—watch cable. “But who would want that,” I hear you saying, “Streaming services are way better because you have all of your shows right there and you don’t have to wait for it to come on or sit with commercials”. But with streaming packages becoming more expensive these days, are you sure that streaming services are all that?  

These days, it’s more than just a streaming service though. These platforms are now coming out with their own hit shows. For example, HBO Max of course has Euphoria, and I just watched Fate: The Winx Saga on Netflix. Streaming services are coming out with shows because they know you will want to watch them and that is their method to get you to sign up for their service. I believe if they didn’t come out with shows, they possibly wouldn’t do as well. They are using their shows to promote their platform with their ads on many websites now. 

On the other hand, cable seems to be going away because so many people are buying  streaming services instead. And like streaming platforms, cable is just as expensive. I know for my parents there have been countless times when they have been thinking about getting rid of all together because they don’t watch half of the channels. Luckily, they keep it because how would I watch Two and a Half Men, King of the Hill, or even South Park if they got rid of it? However, I have to watch these when they come on because I can’t find them on the platforms we have. 

Streaming services may seem like the best option in modern times because you can find whatever show or movie you want and watch it whenever you want. However, they are also getting more and more expensive. Cable also has these packages, but less people have it because of streaming. So, what do you think is better? Cable or streaming? 

Lily de Rooij is a senior this year at Lynn University. She love the connections and memories she has been able to make throughout the years here at HC. Her favorite part about being on the team, is coming up with new social media ideas and posts.