Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Feeling Lonely Yet You Have a Solid Relationship & Good Friends? Here’s How to Get That Feeling Away

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lynn chapter.

You can have amazing friends, a solid happy relationship and life going your way, but still feel lonely. How can someone feel lonely with such great people in their lives? How can someone feel lonely at times with their life going the way they want? Sometimes you just need advice and a good read to think or change different things in your life. This feeling won’t last forever, it comes and goes. Here are some must-knowns to let that feeling stay away.  

One-sided Friendships

You can have some people you consider great friends, but find yourself to be the one reaching out all the time. You care about what they have to say, but they do not care about what you are saying. They are rude, but you ignore half the rude things they may say. A one-sided friendship is unhealthy and nobody deserves to have that kind of relationship with a friend.  

How to Avoid

Pick up on the signs. Do not hold onto friendships for too long if you are constantly questioning if it is good or bad. You may want to save a friendship because you care so much, but there are chances the friendship will end eventually because of the inconsistency within communication or lack of caring, so save yourself the stress. If you are constantly forcing a friendship, end it. Not everyone is meant to be friends, if you are spending way too much effort on a friend and it is completely taking over your mental health, take some space. Remember you have to care about yourself before everyone else so you can be your best version to others. 

Have You Learned to Enjoy Time Alone?

Time is so valuable and people often want to make the most out of their time in the day. Being alone sometimes can make you feel like a loser or a loner. This is looked at in a negative light when it shouldn’t. Alone time gives people time for self-care and time to focus on strengths and passions. We are not always going to have someone around so it’s important to learn how to love being alone. To be your own best friend, should be the goal. 

How to Be Your Own Best Friend

Find a few things you love to do that are a single activity. It can be going to the park for a walk, watching YouTube in bed, or cooking. There are so many activities or self-care practices that you can enjoy alone. Give yourself thirty minutes a day alone. Loving yourself so much that you are happy to be alone and have fun without others always around. At a point you will crave to have some alone time in the day. Depend on yourself because you will always be around, of course, and others won’t.

Problems Relating to People

You will never be able to relate to a person one hundred percent, not even your soulmate. No one person is completely alike. Not everybody thinks the exact same way and agrees on everything the same. It is a false reality to aim to find a friendship or relationship that you can relate completely to the person.   

How to Better Relate to Someone

Find things you have in common with a friend. Relate on passions and interests, but also on what you do not have in common. Learning about a friend or a partner in a deeper manner, rather than always having to relate to someone is the best choice. Sometimes just having someone try and understand you is good enough. Have solid conversations, be there for a friend when they need you and make light out of situations. Understanding someone in many ways is basically relating.  

What we have learned: One-sided friendships will take over your time and maybe even some of your mental health. Putting effort into a friendship that is on its road out is not worth it, drop the friend. Be your own best friend, enjoy spending time alone and find passions to entertain yourself. Relating to someone can mean more about trying to understand them, rather than relating one hundred percent.  

Ava Margolis grew up in New Jersey and now resides in South Florida. Margolis attends Lynn University where she studies Multimedia Journalism. Margolis plans to continue her education to become a therapist for children. She is outgoing, compassionate, and an adventurous person who loves sharing her passions with others.