This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lynn chapter.

Studying Abroad is such an amazing experience.

Recently, I came back from being abroad and realized how different the United States from Europe truly is. Going abroad is such a truly an amazing experience and I hope that everyone who has the opportunity takes it. Before going abroad everyone talks about experiencing cultural shock in Europe but, nobody ever talks about the cultural shock you get when you come back to America.

Towards the end of my abroad journey I was starting to miss home. Being on a scheduled routine, working, going to the gym, and having familiarity in my life. So, the first couple months I was back in America I did not experience “cultural shock”. Being back at school I am definitely missing my time abroad. While I was abroad I created friendships, and memories that I will never be able to regain. While I was abroad I was fortunate enough to travel each weekend. Now being back home I find myself quite bored on the weekends in my small college town.

I was the only person in my friend group that went abroad. Which in some cases can be tough, since your friend group is living the same life you left behind but, without you. In my case, I lost touch with my friend group. Majority of the people graduated when I came back from Europe therefore I haven’t seen my friends since January. This has allowed me to focus on things I learned while in Europe and focusing on myself.

Some of my favorite things to do abroad is explore, and be alone. I use to enjoy going to parks, laying in the sun, and reading a good book. Since school has started I haven’t had the chance to take time to breathe. If you are experiencing cultural shock from studying abroad. I suggest that you think about all the things you did abroad and continue to do them in America. Life is always changing, continue to do the things that you enjoy!

Sam is a senior at Lynn University studying advertising and public relations with a minor in communications. Sam also has an internship with the admissions team at Lynn University. Sam loves traveling and photography, she hopes to live in New York City at the start of her career and open up her own social media company.